The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Corner Light Extra spot...

PJGross

Getting to know my GVR4 by replacing bulbs, I realized the front corners have a blank light hole behind the amber section. Is there a write up for incorporating these into the blinker or one of the other lights? Anyone know what it is there for?

-PJ

slugsgomoo

i believe there's a small light bulb that goes in that spot- there are leads that bring power from the main bulb over to it (on USDM corners at least). I don't remember what size bulb, and I think you need a socket for it. I haven't looked at my USDM corners in a decade though so I'm a little fuzzy on it.

PJGross

It looks like I could put a 194 in it if I had the correct socket.

I was thinking it might be good to tie it into the turn signal marker so there is a front side indicator?

I didn't know if this was something for another country market where at the time it was required or what. Honestly I never noticed it until I was changing the corner bulb.

-PJ

slugsgomoo

the whole assembly is MB529058

img.php

here you can see how the second socket gets powered by the main light

yubh8tn

Just replaced my bulbs the other day. The corner lights are 164 I believe. One is 194 and one is 164, just put in whichever one you don't have.

PJGross

Andrew,
In your actual picture isn't the amber plug just that, a plug. It isn't an receptacle with wire leads, correct?

That's what I was wondering what it is used for.

Since I'm replacing and messing with turn signals, which the LEDs I just got for them need a resistor for the turn signal to slow down, I was going to run a lead up to the corner amber to light that one up. I just need to find a few bulb holders with leads off of them that are a little longer than the ones in your picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-PJ

thomcasey

It is a bulb holder. There are metal leads in the light housing that feed both power and ground to the socket.

slugsgomoo

what thom's saying... the holder has contacts on it, and it pulls power from the other light bulb. It doesn't have it's own individual leads.

raptorWagon

Quoting PJGross:
Andrew,
In your actual picture isn't the amber plug just that, a plug. It isn't an receptacle with wire leads, correct?

That's what I was wondering what it is used for.

Since I'm replacing and messing with turn signals, which the LEDs I just got for them need a resistor for the turn signal to slow down, I was going to run a lead up to the corner amber to light that one up. I just need to find a few bulb holders with leads off of them that are a little longer than the ones in your picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-PJ

It's like your dash lights, there is a circuit internally that feeds power over to that socket. Also if you stop buying the cheap stuff, you wouldn't need to worry about a resistor for LED turn indicators.

PJGross

Just for clarification, the tailights purchased by the same brand were fine and didn't require resistors. Likely the turn signal circuit is a bit more sensitive.
If you have a suggestion for turn signals in LED that do not require resistors, that would be great. I'm not a great searcher, but I don't think there has been one verified on here? I searched +LED +turn +signal ?

I will go back and look at those corners again. Since both sides never had bulbs in them since I bought the car in '98, I made a bad assumption that nothing was in there.

I don't think I purchased "cheap" LEDs anyway. At least I didn't mean to. I was going off of a known working suggestion that worked just fine in another location.
I only cheap out on tuning hardware. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, the amber 164 bulb is just another corner indicator? Got it. Thank you!

-PJ

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts