The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS light on after long storage, new SS brake lines installed

PJGross

I replaced rear calipers and added SS brake lines all around while car was down.
I bled the entire system and brake pedal was very firm.

Car was down for years, so could be corrosion on rings?

I started up car today and brakes felt normal, but the ABS light is on along with the brake light.

Suggestions? I did do a search but nothing came up.

-PJ G.

G

Staff member
Probably air in the abs pump. Try activating the abs on loose gravel and then re-bleed. If it will activate. Not sure if the light being on will disable the abs.

PJGross

Got a dirt road right by the house. Will try it Saturday.

I just got insurance put back on it today, but can't get to secretary state for a few days to get a new tag.

Thanks for the tip!

-PJ

G

Staff member
Let us know if the abs is disabled when the light is on, clean abs hack!

PJGross

Procedure to bleed the ABS unit itself? Is there a VFAQ for this?
I did not do this. I only bled brakes at the corners.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't believe there is a special procedure for bleeding ABS on this car. I use a vacuum bleeder on mine usually, and have not had issues.

I would check for junk (usually metallic) collected on the front sensor magnets. This can affect the reading.

Sitting for a while it may be a stuck solenoid in the unit itself. Clean fluid and driving it to get the system to activate is a good starter approach. Hopefully if this is it, it will break loose.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If you end up needing a hydraulic unit (if you keep ABS), I think I have one in my collection.

PJGross

My dirt road is bumpy, too! That could help.
I will also see if I can clean the rings. I could have bumped the sensor on one of the corners as well. I changed out the passenger front half shaft when it was JSBing so I can start there after a quick drive on the road.

Need to get my registration updated. Last tag I had was 2008. Saved over a grand in tag costs that way, at least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-PJ

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I am planning to use the specific year plate program in Michigan when (if?) I get mine back on the road this year. I have a nice pristine 91 blue plate for it.

slugsgomoo

Delete the ABS IMO. The stuff on our car is 2 channel diagonal garbage, and it barely helps if you brake like a monkey mid corner in the rain. In every context of using brakes properly it simply increases your stopping distance due to the glacial cycle rate.

If I had an Evo, I'd keep ABS, but on these shitpiles, it's a liability. I measured a ~25' shorter stopping distance from 60-0 with some very fast & loose methods, but it was pretty consistent.

The junk is heavy, doesn't work well, and makes the engine bay look like crap. Plus now I have an awesome location for my remote oil filter setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts