The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to find stock fuel pressure regulator RESOLVED

mk2davis

I'm having a heck of a time finding stock/OEM style 37 pound FPR. The dealership says that have been discontinued with no updated reference number. Any aftermarket one I can find is 3 bar/43 pounds or higher, including the one I got from O'Reilly that was application specific (tested at 46 pounds). At least this explains the stumble as boost comes on.

Does anyone have a good source? The pn I was searching for from the dealer was MD124647.

TIA

Last edited:

transparentdsm

I know I have one, not sure if it's good or not though. Car ran fine before I put an aeromotive on and changed a bunch of things.

mk2davis

Would you be willing to sell it? I found one from a DSM part out, but it is untested.

My car idles fine and seems to run off boost really well, but transition to on boost is not consistent.

Eventually, I know I'll be getting an AFPR, but I can't quite afford to get a logger right now and that seems to be really important to get things right.

thomcasey

You can get an Aeromotive AFPR and set it to 37 real easy. Then you are good for the future too.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting mk2davis:
Would you be willing to sell it? I found one from a DSM part out, but it is untested.

My car idles fine and seems to run off boost really well, but transition to on boost is not consistent.

Eventually, I know I'll be getting an AFPR, but I can't quite afford to get a logger right now and that seems to be really important to get things right.

Yeah I'm willing to sell it. Send me a text, 530-208-9548 name is Shane

gvr4ever

I'd get a adjustable FPR so you can run a higher pressure fuel pump later.

Also, do a boost leak test. Not sure your boost issue is 100% the cause of the FPR your currently running.

I upgraded my fuel pump before I had a FPR and my car ran rich at idle and before boost, but was fine under boost. I don't think I had a boost build problem. I only ran that way for a very short time before I ordered a FPR and it was years ago, so my memory could be fuzzy.

mk2davis

I did a boost leak test and then swapped out my TB seals. Since then it seems to be pretty good. But I'm getting about 17mpg, and swapping out my Walbro 190 pump for one that flows 125ish seems to help a little bit. I may have an issue with my TPS because the stumble, if it happens, happens at 4k rpm. But it tested good.

Shane, I'll text you in the AM.

gvr4ever

Double check the base timing too.

I don't know if it's a direct fit or not, but I was thinking the 2G FPR could handle the flow of a 190lph fuel pump.

Most people just go with a good after market FPR.

mk2davis

I set the base timing about 3 months ago, but once I install a new FPR that is next on my list. I have no reason to think it has changed, but it seems wise. If the car still hesitates with the new FPR and base timing checked, I'm going to set it at about 3* BTDC. I had a phantom knock issue with the original sensor. It has since been replaced and it has gotten better, but without a logger I don't know if timing is being pulled out or what.

Supposedly.... the 1G can handle the 190. Now at 46 psi, the car is getting as much fuel as if it were running 9 pounds of boost, if I understand things correctly.

And I will go with a good AFPR, but my high hp build (375-400 at the wheels) is going to be a long term project(2-4 years).

Last edited:

belize1334

Quote:
Supposedly.... the 1G can handle the 190. Now at 46 psi, the car is getting as much fuel as if it were running 9 pounds of boost, if I understand things correctly.

All things being equal, the flow is proportional to the square root of the pressure drop, so with sqrt(46/37)=1.115, you'll be running about 10% too rich compared to the target value. Given that DSMs run VERY rich on the stock maps (10:1 or so), that would put you in the low 9:1 AFR, which could potentially lead to poor ignition.

Last edited:

JNR

Do you still have the factory fuel pressure solenoid (forgot what it's called, want to say it's near firewall on pass side) hooked up or bypassed?

mk2davis

JNR: I believe the fuel pressure solenoid has been bypassed. Do I want it to be bypassed?

Big thanks to Shane for helping me out with this stock FPR. I haven't run a fuel pressure test yet, but the old butt dyno reports good things! My second and third gear pulls are clean and consistent. It's definitely happier, warms up faster, time will tell about economy but I'm very optimistic, and this may have been my hydrocarbon issue when it came to smog time.

One thing that I still notice is that if I just start from a stop normally and then get aggressive in first, it doesn't like to transition. If I start aggressive, no problem. Start normal, no problem. Transition normal to aggressive, not happy. Thankfully, my 2nd gear syncro is crap anyway, and the extra long pause from 1st to 2nd isn't conducive to winning many drag races, or so I've been told.

Of course, the weather has been relatively mild so far, so things may change as the weather does. But right now I'm pretty happy. Next plan is a catch can for the PCV and reconnect the Greddy turbo controller.

mk2davis

I'm calling this one RESOLVED, although the upshot seems to be that there is no source for new FPR's. Try and buy your buddy's, or get a AFPR and set it appropriately.

gvr4ever

Might be faster to reset your ECU than having it relearn/adjust from too much fuel.

Just a thought.

mk2davis

Quoting transparentdsm:
hell yeah, glad you got it up and running dude!

It's been a long time coming, but being too stubborn to stop and having this community to back me up certainly helps!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts