The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does this timing look correct?

Lesac

I tried to get the best pictures I could. But does this look correct or is it off just slightly. The car runs a hair lumpy at idle but I feel like it’s more of a vacuum leak than anything else. I’ve gone through the fuel system and that is fine. The ignition is also working well. So it’s either just off timing or sucking in air somewhere. Or the tune is crap.

transparentdsm

You need to pull the cover and check the actual timing gear mark, also if the car has balanace shafts the belt could be loose or that could be off a tooth.

Edit - gears look on point, harmonic balancer looks a bit off, but that could be from the angle the picture was taken.

Last edited:

Lesac

Irritating thing is that I had the timing cover off before this and wasn’t smart enough to check it before I reassembled the whole thing.

belize1334

Your cam gears are lined up so the question is whether the crank is sitting at TDC. If you draw a line from the center of the harmonic balancer (in the middle of where your wrench head is) to the '0' tick on the timing cover, it looks like it passes right through the notch on the edge of the balancer wheel. To me that indicates that your timing is good. If it's vibrating a lot you could have your rear balance shaft out by 180*. If it's just idling poorly check your ignition timing and fuel/vacuum/etc.

Lesac

Here is another quick question. Would the factory lower timing cover be black? All the oem replacements I see are silver. Mine is black and seems to be warped as it rubs bad on the ac tensioner.

Lesac

Thanks for the help guys, going to just order a new cover and check the timing when it’s off.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have a brand new in box black cover I will sell you. I will price match whatever you can find one for.

BTW, the Eclipse/Talon/Laser engine versions used the silver covers.

Lesac

Cheapest I’ve seen a silver cover for was $108. Color doesn’t matter much to me. I’m going to have to rebuild my throttle body too so, I’m likely going to have to make a bigger parts order.

Lesac

Just wanted to verify this timing was correct, and I found my issue. Was not related to timing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts