The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stutters and stalls on left turns up hills RESOLVED

mk2davis

The car runs great putting around, on the freeway, and in the canyons ... most of the time.

On uphill lefts in the canyons, it stutters, idles but won't rev, and then sometimes stalls. If I turn the car off, wait 7-10 seconds, and then turn it on then everything is good again. It feels like a fuel issue to me, almost like the bowl is running low on a carbed vehicle.

My first guess was fuel pressure regulator, but from what I've read, if that was the issue I'd more than likely run too rich. Is there a fuel pickup in the tank that might have issues? Fuel pump maybe?

All this happened with more than a half tank of gas.

Last edited:

Eztoril

Check the end play on the crank. Start there. I'm not gonna jump to conclusions but it's good to know if it's in spec. This is a rebuilt motor correct?

Last edited:

mk2davis

You are correct, rebuilt 6 bolt with about 100 miles on it.

mk2davis

I got end play at .002", which if I saw right is at the tighter end of the spectrum. The motor is installed with belts, so that may or may not effect measurements.

I also installed a new stock FPR, which did nothing to address the problem. Not a surprise, but wanted to rule it out.

I did get the problem to repeat on a flat corner at a left turn light. Flat approach, 5ish pounds, downshifted for a quicker left, accelerated out of the apex, and it seems to be around 0psi (so the turbo is starting to spool) that I get the STUTTER. I laid off the gas for 4ish seconds, and everything was normal.

Next left a block later and a similar thing happened, although it took a lot longer for full power to come back. I think this is because the exit was on an uphill, so I was building boost and using gas at a quicker rate.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all eyes.

idreamidrive

Someone with more knowledge needs to chime in, but I believe there is a difference in gvr4 fuel pump hangers and dsm, and I think I recall that the gvr4 sits lower in the tank than the dsm. Maybe you have a dsm hanger?

thomcasey

Are you saying everything is good on a right turn? What does the bowl that your fuel pump sits in look like? Sounds like it is either removed or damaged, allowing the fuel to go to the right side of the tank and starve the pump.

mk2davis

I am saying that the only time the symptom has revealed itself has been on left turns. All four occurrences has been on left turns. Maybe it's a coincidence?

The bowl was an analogy. I don't know if there is a bowl in tank, but I expect to see a tub. Once the Walbro gets here from A.P.E., I'll get into it and see what lies below.

thomcasey

BY the bowl, I was talking about the part the FP sits in, to keep fuel at the pump pickup. Another possibility, of the pump in it is already aftermarket, is a tear in the rubber hose from the top of the pump to the metal line. If the pump isn't secured, and there is a tear, it could swing and cause the tube to open and cut fuel pressure

mk2davis

So what the previous poster called the tub. It may be next week before I get the pump, but I'm planning on digging into the tank this weekend to see if I need anything else. I'll update this accordingly.

mk2davis

FINALLY got my Walbro pump and kit, so I pulled my old unit out. At first look, everything looks to be okay; the sock was a little dirty, the bottom of the tank looked clean, the steel fuel line didn't seem to have any cracks in it, and the tub looks to be in place. So at this point it's looking like a rewire and the new pump will fix my ills.

And then I dropped my new pump. The feed nipple broke off, which is obviously frustrating. So another few days for shipping. Which is right when rain is coming for four days. Another week...

mk2davis

While I was finishing up my wiring this morning, I did find that the ground was loose. No doubt, this is part of my issue if not all of it. The ground is on the rear wall of the trunk close to the trunk latch. It's always the simple things...

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Was this the ground for the fuel pump?

Also, be sure to check that your ECU has the OEM ground wires/eyelets, grounded at their stock locations and that the case is actually bolted to the chassis with all bolts in place.
I see so many pictures of ECU's sitting on the floor (and no sign of added grounding), that it stands to reason to ask this sort of question.

mk2davis

Thank you for reminding me to wrap this up. It's always frustrating when you have the same problem someone else had, your reading their thread .... and then zero pay off.

To answer your question FE, the answer is a solid "Probably." I got another Walbro fuel pump (this one I didn't spike on the ground), upgraded the wiring with 10 gauge and a relay, and remounted the ground. Things seem to be flawless right now, but I don't know which of the three was the culprit. I want to reinforce the ground in the future for reliability, but as far as functionality goes everything is golden.

I have no reason to think the ECU isn't in its stock position and wiring, but I will certainly grab a flashlight and look that over.

I want to thank everyone for their help. A couple hundred more miles of break in, and then I'm off to smog!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts