GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » ADJUSTABLE STEERING ON 90 TO 92 GALANTS
Previous thread Next thread

ADJUSTABLE STEERING ON 90 TO 92 GALANTS

BLUELIGHTSBABY
599/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244800 posted 12/04/18 12:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I need some help/advice concerning the adjustable steering that was found on some early model galants. There is a button in the center console next to the transmission econo button. I want to know what part are used to make the steering more firm in the early galants that had that option.

Is it the rack and pinion, power steering pump, and some other computer in galants that makes the steering fuction more firm when the button is pressed. I'm looking to do a transplant into my VR4 and want to know what parts are used on the early galants.

Thanks

Posts: 28 | From: Columbia SC | Member Since: 09/17/12 | IP: (98.25.2.228) | Report this post to a Moderator

fuel
"Just to be pedantic!"

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244808 posted 12/05/18 10:24 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
It is only available on the FWD Galants and the button operates a solenoid on the steering rack that modulates the assistance from the power steering pump. As far as I know, everything else in the system including the pump, tie rod ends etc are all the same - it is just the rack itself which is different. Keep in mind that at 30 years old now, finding an operating variable assist rack would be hard - many have failed and have been swapped out in favour of regular racks.

'91 E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | '80 A164A Eterna GSR Turbo

-- Visit my JDM Galant VR-4 info & specifications site here! --

Posts: 2094 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Member Since: 02/23/09 | IP: (2607:9880:1008:1) | Report this post to a Moderator

mass moment of inertia
467/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1244810 posted 12/06/18 06:54 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
there is also an electronic module near the radio that modulates the solenoid pressure, and therefore the steering effort, according to the car speed. I don't know where the module gets the speed input from though.

Posts: 885 | From: Fremont Ca | Member Since: 03/16/01 | IP: (73.222.214.55) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 93

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.143 seconds in which 0.122 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page