The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wont Start

conradical

So my Galant has been in the garage for a couple years do to no time to work on her. So I finally had the time to get her back together and she started and I drove it around the block with no problems but as I was pulling into the garage she died and I cant get her to start again. I have a new battery and replaced the grounds both on the battery and on the stater. I also took the starter off the car, had it tested at the auto parts store and all checked out. So when I do try to start the car I hear a click under the dash on the drivers side by my left leg and I also hear a click under the dash on the right side by the glove box. I do have power to the starter, I just checked with a voltmeter from the power on the starter to a ground. Is it possible that I have a bad starter even though it passed at the store, or is there something I'm missing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Eztoril

Try cleaning the ground locations with a wire brush. Had the same problem ended being the ground on the transmission. It's a very good idea to just go around the entire car and clean as many grounding locations throughout (when time permits ofcourse), it will solve lots of existing or future problems. I know you replaced the ground wires, checked for resistance with a dmm? Can you push start?

Last edited:

RHDGvr4

Jump starter solenoid terminal,to the starter power wire on the starter, see if engine cranks, could be dead or dying ignition switch,you can add a momentary switch with a relay and bypass the oem ignition switch .common problem. For not running.Theres a main relay in center console, check fuel pump, cam angle sensors die, Ecu's die, check connetion of ignitor, they get corroded,they also die,coil packs die.

Good luck

conradical

So here is the update. I went through and cleaned all the grounds on the starter harness and tested to verify that there is a signal being sent to the starter solenoid when the ignition is turned to the start position, and there was a 0.04-0.07 volts when the ignition is turned to start. So my starter is being told to start, also after re-cleaning all the grounds especially the one on the transmission the starter did make some sounds but still not turning the engine over. So a little back ground, the battery was relocated to the trunk by the previous owner and power was run back the engine to a gold power bus that then to the starter. When I took a closer look I found small amounts corrosion on this power bus, so I am replacing that piece with a new one and the power wire going to the starter and the ground wires. When I pulled the power wire off the bus it just pulled right out, I am hoping that this was the problem, a lose power connection at the bus not allowing the proper amount of AMPS to be sent to the starter. I will update once all is back together. And on a side note I have a steep driveway that I could use to bump start the car however I want this to be my last ditch effort because if that doesn't work then I cant get the car back into the garage with out a S ton of people or a toe truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

conradical

Ok so I've replaced the whole harness from the power buss and the power wire to the starter and the ground wire, I'm still getting 12 volts to the starter and I'm getting a signal from the small black and yellow wire to tell the starter to turn over. However there is a small amount of corrosion on the power wire from the battery wire on the power buss in the engine bay. But it seems like it would still want to turn over just weak. Would that tiny amount make that much of a difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

conradical

OK so I got it to turn over. I applied 12 volts right to the solenoid via the signal wire and it finally turned over. So is this just a bad ignition switch?

thomcasey

Very likely. Being as they are 27 years old, they do wear out. Might be able to find a good used replacement or maybe go to a push-button start.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts