The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 866/1000

thomcasey

Picked up 866/1000 shell this evening. Plans are to bring all the stuff from 1025 ( is super clean) and give that shell to my son to take all the stuff from 100/2000. 100 has too much rust. We will strip 100 down and scrap it. The guy I got the shell from my take the front clip from 100 and use it for his (the rust is on 100 are the frame rails. The front clip is pretty clean).

866 is supposed to have a good 4-bolt in it, gonna have to verify the juices to see how it was treated. us now to decide when to sell the rims and what to with my extra ECMLink V3 ECU that came with the shell.

The wife and oldest son checking out the new shell.

More pics of the shell:

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Nice scoop, dude. That's gonna be a lot of work swapping everything over.

My advice would be to take your time and clean and paint everything now while the shell is still bare. It'll be worth it in the end.

Last edited:

thomcasey

Not even starting until after the shootout. I only expect the swap to take 1 week (to include a weekend). I have done a lot more in less time, but this won't be rushed. It will honestly take longer to swap gauges/stereo and wiring than all the hardware stuff

Last edited:

thomcasey

Started working on thinks to get the swap from 1025 accomplished.

Brembo's cleaned and rotors with a fresh cut (last cut they can have)

New elbow with IAT bung welded (found a local guy, $20 per weld)

Soldered the 2gMAF connector in for use with the SD kit from ECMTuning. (MAF plug was missing and I only had a 2gMAF plug, so I am running with it.)

Discovered the CAS plug was missing and TPS connector was toast:

New plugs soldered in (from Sheridan via ExtremePSI)

New quick-connect injector plugs to be soldered on tonight:

I expect the front sub-frame to come out tonight (will be swapping in my front/rear complete sub-frame assemblies from 1025)

thomcasey

Gwendolyn came with a nice set of 17" Rota Sub-Zero's. I figured out why they were on there. They had security lugs on, and no key came with the car. None of my current keys worked. I was able to use a 19mm 12-point socket on the front two wheels, but the rears were stripped. So, turbo socket to the rescue. Got the security lugs off real easy, now to pull the drive-train from Gretchen (1025) so I can swap over the front and rear sub-frames.

thomcasey

Motor and front subframe from 1025 is in Gwendolyn. Discovered an almost seized ball-joint, so new control arms/balljoints and stab-links are on the way! Today I am swapping out the braided brake lines with the factory hard lines and braded line combo's so they will work with the brembos.

Last edited:

thomcasey

New shifter bushings and Symborski's. Shifting should be nice and tight now.

thomcasey

Got the transmission, xfer case, EM studs and FP Manifold, HTA68-killer turbo, and braided slave line installed. Got the intercooler mounted and fab'd up the piping. Piping is going the the welder tonight to get all sewed up.

thomcasey

Gwendolyn now has a face. Now I just need to modify the wiring to work with the Aussie corners.

slugsgomoo

93 headlights and ambers... that's a hot combo right there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Not that I would do such a thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thomcasey

Got the battery relocated back to the stock location with a Ballistic battery cage. Also got the new SD upper intercooler pipe installed.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hey Thom, how about a picture of the Brembos installed with a comment or two on how they fit with the Evo rotors? I would like to see what I missed out on selling them.

Also, what wheels are you using with them?

Thanks.

thomcasey

I should be installing them tomorrow. Will take pics. I am running EVO 8 wheels.

Got everything in the engine bay buttoned up. Tried to start it and..... nothing. Looked under the dash and found the ignition ground cut. Fixed that, nothing. Looked under the dash and found this behind and above the fuse box...

Now it starts, just need to recalibrate the o2 sensor and verify the wiring for the intake air temp.

thomcasey

Finally, after lots of grinding and paint, I got a Brembo caliper and bracket mounted.

thomcasey

866 is now back on the road. Got the Brembo's shimmed and sorted, swapped over the rear calipers from 1025. Bled everything and took her for a drive. I am so glad I did the swap. Without it, I would not have known about the two blown ball joints (they maid no noise, but the boots were torn and they were stiff) nor would I have known that the driveshaft lost a c-clip from one of the u-joints, causing the u-joint to shift about 1/4", almost losing the cap. She still needs the AirFlowPerRev adjusted down from .45 and the BaseTipInADJ setup to stop the lean stumble when pressing the gas quickly, but she rides nice.

Modified the JDM corners to take the USDM bulbs and sockets.

thomcasey

So, I discovered something that amazed me today. The Power Antenna actually WORKS!?!?!? This car has been off the road since at least 2013, and outside of every chassis harness plug being disconnected under the dash, everything works! The gas in the tank is crystal clear and GOOD!. Fuel pump is clean and GOOD! I am tempted to weld a unicorn horn to the roof.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Buy a lottery ticket...

thomcasey

Ready to drive and tune.

thomcasey

Thankfully, she drives and shifts real nice. I took a chance and installed the xfer case and tranny from 148/1000 (mainly to verify they were good having sat since 2008). If they were bad, I would install my original stuff and have these rebuilt. But, since these are good, they will stay. Also, the rearend was also a gamble as it has been in since at least 2013 with only tow miles that I can see from its history here on the boards. But all three are happy with the Redline juices (MT-90 in the tranny, HW Shockproof in the xfer case and rear). Once I found out what all was disconnected in the dash, I found everything works, including the antenna and rear defroster. Only issue I have found is the radiator fan will not come on automatically, so I have a switch for it. I assume I will try again in the future to get ECMLink to control the fan, but I failed in that last summer too.

I filled her up after verifying the filler tube was in good shape (still has flex) and found it doesn't leak at all. Plenty of dust-bunnies flew out of the vents when I turned on the ventilation fans, but the air flowed nicely. I guess I will drive her for a couple weeks like this (on GR2's and lowering springs), then I will pull the GC coilover/AGX setup from 148/1000 and get it setup how I want. Then, 100/2000 will give up the front doghouse to 148/1000 so she can get back on the road.

BTW, has anyone found a good color match for our dash? I have a blue 89 underdash that I would like to get closer in color.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts