The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which Evo Coilovers can be used on 91 GVR4

VR4MOE

Hey Guys,

Which Evo Coilovers can be used on 91 GVR4
I am currently running stock 4 lug. But wish to keep it 4 lug. Can I use any Evo coil overs on my GVR4?

VR4MOE

Thanks for the reply.
Would you know which Evo I can use suspension from?
Also do you have a link of this "3SX adapters" that can be purchased?

fuel

Evo 8/9 will need the adapters for the rear, Evo X will need the lower bush on the rear shock changed out to work.

You can get the SCE adapters direct from Supercar Engineering (where you can purchase just the rears instead of the whole set) - click

Last edited:

VR4MOE

OK just to confirm that this would work on my 91 Galant VR4?

I want to confirm because it does not state the GVR4. Only vehicle mentioned is the 3000 GT VR4

fuel

Yes works on the Galant VR-4 (and 1st gen Diamante AWD). 3000GT/GTO and Diamante AWD share the same platform which is derived from the 6th gen Galant AWD.

slugsgomoo

don't you also have to run different bolts on the front lowers, and put some sort of spacers in, as the evo knuckles are thicker than 1g/gvr4?

I have the rear SCE adapters direct from Supercar Engineering for the Evo shocks and springs and there is an issue with them that has been noted by others.

The 3/S has a R lower shock mount with a larger diameter taper than the GVR4. This means that if you install the tapers of the mount and adapter aligned with each other the way they were designed for, the fit will be sloppy. If the adapter is installed with tapers opposite to each other, the smaller diameter of the taper on the adapter fits closely (no slop) on the larger end of the mount closest to the trailing arm.

I can see how this would work short term, but there will be a very small amount of bearing surface between the tapered mounting stud and the reverse tapered adapter. I am afraid to run it this way as I think the white adapter bushing (feels like nylon) is going to deform and get hogged out and loose.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

The best question in this thread that hasn't been asked is WHY.

Unless you already have coilovers for an Evo, why not just get Galant specific ones? If you do have a set, why not just buy the right mounts (assuming the threaded body is a standard diameter).

It's not 2004, there are options that don't involve "cobble something together"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned