The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gas needle not reading full on full tank after replacing fuel pump.

4dr_vr4

It reads somewhere like 5/8 full on a full tank. I searched around here and noticed that I am not alone. It has been like this since I replaced the stock fuel pump with a Wally 190 about 3 years ago. I finally have a little bit more time on my hands and replaced the pump with a Wally 255 I had laying around in the hopes that the sender arm was bent and could be readjusted. Unfortunately that is not the case.

I have read posts where people just filled up the tank and then just pulled the dash needle and set it back down at the full mark.

The question is whether or not the tank will remain accurate throughout it's range by doing this. I certainly don't want to buy another used sender for something like this especially since going in there is a pain in the ass at many levels.

Thanks.

CutlassJim

You bent the sh*t out of the float rod getting the sending unit out. Pull it again and fix it.

fuel

Is there something stopping the full movement of travel of the arm? Pull the sender and move the arm to the top as if the tank were full - is it hitting on the pump assembly or does it have a stiff spot on the potentiometer? I would just try fit in another sender and see what the result is.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting 4dr_vr4:
The float arm isn't bent at all though.

Are you possibly not clocking it correctly with the reinstallation? If it hits the fuel cup in the tank it may not move enough.

I would check it for full stroke out like Fuel mentions.

turbofonz

Every galant I've had so far has never read full when full. Even 100% stock. Well, not 5/8's but maybe 7/8-9/10

Last edited:

fuel

Mine reads just a smidgen over full when it is full, but it lasts for about 5-10 miles before it starts going under full. Top half goes quickly and then hovers around the half way point for a while, then drains the last 1/3 quickly.

4dr_vr4

Thanks everyone. I am clocking it correctly. I just replaced the wally 190lph with a 255lph and no change unfortunately after reinstallation. I guess I'll just live with it.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
What the guys posted above can all be spot on, so take this as a secondary consideration.

In the FSM there should be resistance values listed for the sensor and it's range of travel. Remove the level sensor and measure it at full = mid = empty travel and see how they compare to spec. You may have a bent arm or something silly keeping it from operating properly.
In the Colts, this sensor is the only fuel related component that can come through the floor beneath the rear seat, as the pump is below the floor panel unless you make a removable top section and seal it from the environment.
Anywho, try what I mentioned. They are not expensive, even new from Mitsubishi IIRC.

Last edited:

4dr_vr4

Thanks, will check the resistance values. I think that is all that is left. Arm sits exactly where it should.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts