The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No sound from radio

galantrevolution

So I have a problem on my vr4 , it came with a aftermarket radio from Japan the reason I decide to replace the radio is be cause the frequency is different and only revive 2 stations but sound was present , now my problem is the sound from any speaker is gone , I did try another radio and still the same problem , I’m re using the adapter harness the came from japan , it could be that the problem or JDM cars have different wiring for radio ?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Does the car have the amplifier in the trunk? The 91 US cars do. You likely need to utilize this amp or change wiring to get power to the speakers without it. What radio are you trying to put in?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I suspect you have the same wiring, but as you may have noticed the JDM radio only tunes to 89.9 at the highest frequency and starts around 79.1.

Go into the library here on the site and download the factory service manual. This will allow you to see what wires are tapped into the harness and where those harness wires are "supposed" to lead to, IE +/- on each speaker, power constant (usually red), power switched (usually yellow), etc.

Double check the wires in the car, and that they match what is "supposed" to be the wiring setup per the original literature for the radio you are using. Most head units will use a very similar connector for the last 10-15 years for each brand but they are specific to each brand.

Confirm you haven't blown a fuse that may be attached outside the unit or inside the unit if not outside. This is usually only a problem if the unit will not power up.

Once wiring is confirmed, power it all back up things should work at that point.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Well, that is good information to have handy. It is always nice when it isn't a scenario where key features change depending upon the market your car was delivered to, but still rolled off the same assembly line floor!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts