The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: 1987 Jdm Galant VR4-Rhd (Fully Built/Restored)

Fs: 1987 Jdm Galant VR4-Rhd (Fully Built/Restored)

This is an adult owned, no expense spared built Jdm vr4. It has been my personal daily driver for the spring/summer months over the last 5 years I've owned it. This car IS LEGAL and was imported with all proper documentation. One of a kind mods like full Evo 10 interior conversion have been done professionally and other creature comforts like ice cold R12 A/C and 4 wheel steering have been retained. I am an ASE certified tech and I take pride in my work and fabrication on this car. Unfortunately it's time to say goodbye. Below is the list of mods. (Asking price below) please keep your un-friendly comments to yourself.

Power:
- 487whp on AMS Dyno
- 430wtq
- 32 psi

Engine:
- 10,000 miles on build
- built motor (APEX machine and prep work)
- turbo tuff rods / weisco 10:8:1 pistons
- 272 cams
- mild ported cylinder head
- valve spring and retainers
- 3 layer head gasket
- arp head, rod, main studs
- NGK plugs, new wires

Turbo/Intercooler/Exhaust
- FP68HTA 32psi
- FP turbo manifold
- Ported stainless o2 housing
- 3" complete turbo back exhaust
- twin OEM style muffler
- cyclone manifold with turbo actuator mod
- ETS full race kit
- Tial BOV
- Manual boost controller

Fuel :
- Waldro 450lph E85
- 1050cc fic injectors (cleaned by FIC this season)
- E85

Interior:
- Authentic Nardi steering wheel
- Complete Evo 10 front and rear seat conversion (only completed swap I know of)
- AMS shift knob
- 7" monitor, navigation system, DVD, blue tooth hands free audio and voice.
- OEM Jdm floor mats

Brakes / Wheels / Tires:
- Evo 8 Brembo brake conversion
- Rebuilt brake calipers
- Evo 8 MR wheels
- Hankook Ventus R-S3 (like new)
- Fresh brake fluid

Suspension:
- TEIN 18 way adjustable coil overs
- New tie rods
- New ball joints
- Front and rear sway bars (forgot brand)

Drivetrain
- 5 lug DSM conversion
- TMZ Built trans
- TMZ rebuilt t case
- new drive shaft u joints / rebalanced
- new driveshaft support bearings
- rebuilt 4 bolt rear / custom machined to retain 4 wheel steering.
- rebuilt axles (front)
- completely rebuilt shifter bushings

Electronics:
- DSM link V3
- Rebuilt ECU (ECM)
- AEM boost / wideband AF gauges
- New blower motor for A/C & Heat
- New fuel injector clips

Cooling:
- Aluminum radiator
- SPAL cooling fans (2)
- Samco silicone coolant hoses
- New OEM radiator cap
- New thermostat

Miscellaneous:
- New under hood lining
- New OEM gas tank cap
- New JDM window visors
- Jdm floor matts
- Custom coated valve cover
- Custom spark plug cover
- Engine bay was detailed while motor was out.

I'm sure I'm missing several items as it's been 5 years of building. But you get the idea.

Asking: $15,000 firm
Car location: Northwest Suburbs (Chicago)

G

Staff member
Is this the one that works at ams?

GSTwithPSI

I'm not a fan of the JDM Galants, but Jesus, I'd drive this in a heartbeat. This is a quality build, and worth every penny of the asking price. Beautiful car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Do you have the dyno sheet? And, is that a 68HTA V1 or V2 turbo?

I just moved and seemed to have misplaced the Dyno sheet. I'm looking for it still. I know it's safe somewhere. Just don't know where. I believe it's version 1.

G

Staff member
Does it come with the jdm coins & foam spoiler? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

89Mirageman

Wow is pretty much all that I can come up with. I agree with the statement above, easily worth every penny.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting v1rginevo9:
I just moved and seemed to have misplaced the Dyno sheet. I'm looking for it still. I know it's safe somewhere. Just don't know where. I believe it's version 1.

I'd definitely like to see the dyno sheet. If those numbers are right, this car would nearly hold the record for most power on a 68HTA (V1 or V2), which is pretty legit...Especially since it's a Galant guy. If you bought the 68HTA recently from FP new, then it's most likely a V2.

I'd like to add the dyno sheet to my records /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
68HTA Dyno Records

Mike917

Hello everyone. I just went out to Chicago from Oregon to view the galant. Sadly i did not buy it. Please feel free to ask me any questions about my experience or my findings. Just want to help possibly save you money.

Hello all:

I'll spare you the time in emailing this person and gladly share it all with you.

Before you read this. Know that this person threatened me saying he was going to post in every forum and make it impossible for me to sell my car. As a side note. About 2 months ago I showed this car to user name (G) from this forum. He said the car was amazing and even gave a fellow galant vr4 enthusiast from Florida the green light on purchasing this car. Had nothing but amazing things to say about the car. Below is my response to all of the things "wrong with my car" and why he didn't buy it. The dash's signify what he said and my response is below.

Here is what I will say about all the things that you said were wrong or unsure about.

-First thing was the engine knock,

Crappy start to my day. Got gas at local station and got a bad batch of e85. Car ran amazing on way to airport and on way home it was misfiring like crazy. (This was bad e85. thankfully I only got 2 gallons when I picked you up at the airport at 5:45am. new gas fixed the problem. I also put new plugs in just to make sure) car ran perfect after.

- i did not like the suspension(to rough and bouncy),

It's fully adjustable. Adjust how you'd like once you own it.

-the dash,

Yes it has cracks. You've known about this since day one. I have another dash in box. Also I said I would consider selling you the Newer dash. This was never a for sure thing.

-the hose that looked like fish tank hose,

Hose for my additional wastegate that controls cyclone manifold. This is not a fish tank hose... It's a clear vacuum hose that came with an aftermarket boost gauge. Why would I spend $2000 on my suspension and then put fish tank hose in my car....

-map sensor just hanging
Yes it's tucked in the engine bay. Zip tied to the engine harness. Not bolted down... Sorry

- Part of engine harness just hanging not secure,

None of the harness is hanging out. 2 years ago Entire Harness was taken apart to inspect a faulty ground. Replaced factory lume with electrical tap.

-the brake sounds,

Car has aggressive aftermarket pads and Evo 8. Brake conversion. After aggressive breaking it squeals. This is normal and stops once brakes cool down.

- some of the widow seals,

None of the window seals are bad. Car leaks no water. You tried to tell me that my trunk leaks water in it... it doesn't. And. Never has. You complained that the window takes so many seconds to lower and takes longer to go up. Said it should always be the same amount of time And that the motor is on its way out. Compared it to your wife's201* Audi s4. Said here's goes up the same rate of speed. The Car is 30 years old. Windows have worked just fine for the 5 years I've owned the car. Yes they are a bit slower but still function.

-how you talked about first gear concern

Nothing is wrong with first gear. I typically don't do a first gear pull when driving. Actually I never do. I don't want to blow up another transmission. At $2000 plus it's not fun on the wallet. Not worth the thrill of going 0-30mph. However. I still let you do it 3 times on back roads in a truck park while driving.

-how you said it (trans) can fail just from 2nd and 3rd full throttle pulls

Yes it can. 450-500hp Dsm transmission can break during any time at that level. Especially under full throttle going over bumps. I guess informing you of this was the wrong thing to do? Maybe I should have just hid that information for you? I wanted to inform you of it for your 2200 mile ride home. Again we accelerated 10 plus times all of 2nd and 3rd gear full throttle. And even 2nd 3rd and most of 4th gear once. 30-120mph

- being rushed,

I picked you up at the airport at 5:45 in the morning. Left my house at 5am on a day that I took off work. While driving home the gas I Put in the car was bad. Not a good start to morning... thanks hid it was only 2 gallons and problem was fixed as soon as new gas was in tank. Then went to my house. Showed you all the extra parts I had allowed you to look at the car. (Using light on your phone at night) offered to wait until sun comes up in 10 mins. You were kind enough to allow me to prove that gas was the cause of problem. And It was. We then got to my house around 8am. Installed plugs as you looked over the car. You had been in the car for 2 hrs at this point. Driven to and from orileys to get plugs, gas station, airport and all. Getting more than just an idea of how it ran and handled. You started looking the car over. Asking questions, I gave you over an hour to look and inspect every inch of the car. We then went for a ride. To test everything. New plugs in. Allowed you to hook up your laptop to the car. Diagnose anything you wanted to. After several
High way pulls and no issues i then had you drive the car for 20-30 minutes on same route. While driving you even (grinded 2nd gear) and I did not get mad. I said "hey it happens, No worries" then you were asking for roads to drive the car on that were bendy. (Said I live in bendy roads and need to make sure it handles well) well I live in chicago suburbs, there are no bendy country roads. Never the less we found some roads by an industrial area. This was still not good enough for you. Went back to the house inspected the car some more. While you waited for the DMV to open at 9am (11am chicago time) so you could ask about the title and if it was ok to transfer. During that time you were inspecting, I did a load of laundry and my dishes while you were being "rushed" you then got word that everything checked out with the car from DMV. You said you were going to walk to mcdonalds to do research and I offered to take you instead. I then said I'd pick you up at 2:00 from McDonald's and to please have a decision as to weather you were going to be buying the car, heading to the bank and make transaction, or heading to the airport because you decided not to purchase my car. At 2:25 I arrived. Texted you. You texted me "on phone with wife and went for a walk" Waited patiently for 10 minutes and asked what should I do? I've been here for 25 minutes now and you said "walking to hotel, taking a nap.... no other response..... So after wasting 35 minutes I drive home. Finally I'm Home at 3:15.

- your unwillingness to let me look through/inspect

You had 2-3 hours to look over the entire car. And 30 minutes of actual seat time. I answered every question you had. You even asked me to use my broken lift in my garage. It's only been used once before and the car got stuck. You could see the entire lift cover panel was taken off and the old hydraulic lift assembly sitting and leaking in my garage. I had just fixed it the night before. Or so I thought. Not risking it. However you proceed to say that I should allow you to lift the car up on a lift that is untested. Or move 3 cars in my driveway, test one of them first, and then put yours up. This was never discussed or in the plans. I kindly answered no, wasn't going to risk putting car in the air not to mention you had already looked the entire car over. None of this sounds like an unwillingness to let you look The car over.

Overall, I bent over backwards for you. Catered to your every need, 11pm phone calls, 20 plus emails, 100's of messages from what oil do you use to could you send me a picture of this or that. I responded to everything and anything within 10 minutes of you asking. During work, during date nights, during masters class, I sent you high res photos of every blemish and defect with the car. Sent videos. I even changed the oil for you last minute the night before at 9pm because your semi truck pickup got canceled. (Was going to ship car back)

The car is 30 years old. It's not a 2017 model. And per my quote. "I'll pay for your trip if you find something wrong" there is and was nothing wrong with the car that was undisclosed. You were aware of everything before you flew out. I'm sorry it did not meet your expectations. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Confirmed, I did test drive this and it is very clean and runs great. Pulls hard without skipping a beat. The teins felt great. Not sure what people expect out of coilovers? A cushy ride? I'd buy it if I didn't already have one! On a side note, what's up with oregon peeps? Every time I have bought a car there, they are weird as hell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

dime2nr

I'm a Portland transplant and folks here can be pretty crazy with some unrealistic expectations of the real adult world and self aggrandizing veiws of their place and importance in the world. Oh and some of the most passive aggressive bull sh*t human interactions I have ever experienced. I think the hipsters vegans vegetarians with their high intake of soy better known as estrogen has turned mens balls into external ovaries making it impossible for them to sack up and act like men.

G

Staff member
Ha! You nailed it. Now place that person in the position of selling or buying a car from out of state and it's a disaster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSTwithPSI

Sounds like you basically gave the guy everything but a happy ending (maybe that's why no sale).

...All I wanted to see was the dyno sheet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

strokin4dr

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting dime2nr:
I'm a Portland transplant and folks here can be pretty crazy with some unrealistic expectations of the real adult world and self aggrandizing veiws of their place and importance in the world. Oh and some of the most passive aggressive bull sh*t human interactions I have ever experienced. I think the hipsters vegans vegetarians with their high intake of soy better known as estrogen has turned mens balls into external ovaries making it impossible for them to sack up and act like men.

Nebraska

f*** I want this thing just because it looks so damn good. Yeah, everything done to the car is a huge bonus but this thread alone has expedited my plans for JDM bumpers...thanks OP

ktmrider

Quoting dime2nr:

Will second this observation LOL.

On a side note we've heard many local millenials don't drive or own cars anymore. Portland does push public transport ( I've used it a few times for downtown and airport trips ) but cost of ownership is high. Oh and you can't pump your own gas here either, WTF.

Love the car, GL with the sale.

raptorWagon

Holy crap! Didn't know KTM moved to the PNW lol. Anyway, a lot of Oregon folk are weirdos, especially around Portland, or G just attracts all of the weirdos. You can pump gas in the more rural areas of Oregon, like Warm Springs.

Car looks clean and well built, GLWS.

You and me both... I have spent hours on hours looking for the videos and pictures. I'm actually really upset... not just because I'd like to prove that It does make great power but that i personally have nothing to remember the car by once it's gone. Like every photo and video is missing. During my move I had several external hard drives and I must have lost the most important one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts