The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Parking light//headlight gremlin

scottinalaska

This 92 Galant VR4 car has hardly been molested at 160K. But I knew my front right blinker wasn't blinking. I then discovered I had no blinky power even going to it - not even with the hazards on. Looking further, I discovered that without the key on, parking AND headlights won't go on. Not even the brights switch. But once the key is ON, headlights work....just no parking lights. Yes, this means no taillights.
I have the nice dual color dash lights along with brake lights, though. All fuses checked out good and save the A/C delete and related wires, very little has been cut intentionally on this car. Even the original radio and CD player (which only works after "warming" up for ten minutes) have never been removed.
Anyone ever see where this light gremlin(s) has hid before? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Parking light issues could be bad sockets, ground, or switch if you are sure the fuse is good.

I would also remove the fuse and make sure you have power in the box at the fuse.

scottinalaska

All fuses were pulled and inspected and returned to their place under the hood and under the dash. The parking lights do work when the hazards are on, so I believe i can eliminate bulb sockets. And save the right front blinker light, they all function. It seems if there were a ground missing, my headlights would fail to function, but perhaps there is a dedicated ground for them. Further searching will be necessary.
Thank you for the thoughts. I was kind of hoping there was a not too uncommon component that can become unplugged or wire break that would prevent the first position (parking lights) from lighting.
I will assume that with key off, I should at least get parking lights normally, right?

Scott

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, headlights and parking lights/tail lights are separate circuits.

scottinalaska

Update: I pulled the taillight relay, the round aluminum one and heard it click. I reinserted it a couple times and now my running (parking) lights all work. As for the dead right front blinker, I'll just need to trace back to where power starts.
Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts, guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts