The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner of 100/2000

thomcasey

Hey all, I saved another one yesterday. It is 100/2000 Nile Black. The nephew of a friend bought this off Joshua Mead (AlphaMale) in 2013. It came with a JDM replacement motor installed. We pulled it and installed a motor that made 597 AWHP and a PTE 6262 in it. The guy put about 1000 miles on it and parked it. He tried selling it here but his posts got deleted (he was a tool). After putting over 7000 into it, he sold it for 3400 to what looks like to be an idiot.

The new owner drove it for about 300 miles and the hub on the drivers side separated and the wheel came off, pulling the bottom of the fender with it. The shop he took it to told him he needed a motor too, lots of leaks and the car had 200k miles on it so he put 9000 into parts and labor for a new motor. Mind you, the motor that was in it had about 300 miles on it total, Eagle crank, Mahle pistons, Eagle rods. That shop "Schmidt Racing in Indianapolis" ripped him off. Then the MafT cable fell and wrapped around the passenger axle, so it took it to the Mitsubishi dealer and had them install a new MafT. Only window that works now is Drivers window. Then he said the transmission lost 1st gear and a rear brake line rusted through. He then bought (Mom and Dad bought) him a 2006 Legacy GT, so he parked the Galant for sale. I bought it ($1100 I might add) for the motor/turbo and seats. Shell goes to son 2/5. It has some rust under the lip of the trunk/boot, needs a drivers fender now, but it looks nice except a dent in the roog by drivers door. Someone sat on it, bondo cracked, so the rook was at least skimmed at one point before a repaint.

Motor now has Ported/polished head, 272 cams w adj cam gears, 8.3:1 Ross Pistons, Eagle Rods and Eagle knife-edged crank, ARPS, FIC 1450's, brand new CAS, new factory TB kit, new front case, PTE 6262 w/Tial 38mm WG.

Plans are as follows:
I am taking the motor to go through it (oil is a bit gassy smelling) and degree the cams. Installing it in my Galant.
I am taking the Tial WG, not sure if selling or keeping
I am swapping the front seats with my seats, they are less worn
I a taking the working Fogs that are in the spare bumper
Son 3/5 is buying the turbo/manifold and my motor off me for his Galant, giving me his 1g rod/2g piston motor in partial payment
Son 2/5 gets Galant shell so he can install his drive-train from his Talon in it and drive it.

This gives us 1025/2000, 543/2000 and 10/2000

This is the only current pic I have right now, will get more later today.

These are as it was when it was sold:

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Not a big surprise. I remember when the PO made the 1,000 hp thread that certainly didn't inspire hope... click

Glad it's back in good hands, though. I hope your son gets it back into respectable condition.

thomcasey

So true. I told him to dial it down on the forum. We already knew the stroker motor he bought dyno'd 597 AWHP at the wheels, which would be way too much for the stock galant tranny. But he gave up on the car after the 2014 shootout. Now she is limping, but she will get cleaned up and back on the road.

thomcasey

Kid was asking $1500, this is after paying out $9700 for motor work and such between Nov '15 and Feb '16. Got him down to 1100. I offered the original seller 3500 before he sold it to this kid for 3400. He said I as low-balling him. He said he would rather send it to the crusher (take a 7k loss) than sell it for 3500, lol. He no longer talks to me or his uncle.

transparentdsm

the most recent galant i saved, 1415/2000, was sold to the kid i got it from for 6-7k, then he blew the head gasket and dropped another 1k on it. tried to sell it for 3500 not running, me and my friends offered him 1600$ so we could split the car up between us. he told us it was an insult, called us cheap and kept the car. fast forward to 2 months ago and he posts the car again for 1800$ obo. i offered him my snowmobile that was worth 600$ and he excepted it. needless to say the car is mine and my buddy helped me out a bit with the car as i have no place to work on cars and about 200$ and a few hours of his time and the car runs again.

GSTwithPSI

Sad to see the car in such sad shape compared to when Josh sold it. What a damn shame.

Is there a lot of structural damage, or is it mainly just messed up body panels?

thomcasey

Just body panels. The rockers are starting to give way to some rust, but we will hit it with some rust killer and cover them in POR 15. When moving it to the driveway last night, 1st gear is definitely gon. Put it in first, let out the clutch and lots of nice grinding ensues.

This car also has my old SRS exhaust on it (from a Talon I had), I will be happy to get it back, nice and deep. Here is my new motor idling with it, love the deep sound. Should be better when I get the motor out and degree the cams.

purring

thomcasey

Drained the coolant - Hello undiluted antifreeze
Drained the oil - Hello "almost: 2-stroke gas, wow this thing was rich running (can you say 1450's on 680's tune?)
Drained the transmission - The most beautiful charcoal gray pearl you have ever seen!!! Yup, first gear is ground away.

Pulled all plugs and hoses. Just need to pull the axles and yank this drivetrain out so I can go through the motor while my son drops his drivetrain in it.

thomcasey

We got the drivetrain swapped out. Found that Silicone Intakes is out of stock for the one coupler we need for the FMIC, so that combined with not wanting to cut the new front crash bar to make it fit today, we hot piped it. Since it will be running on WG for the winter, it should be fine. We repaired the broken brake line and got the new bumper installed. All she needs now is all her juices and some air in the tires and it will be ready for driving. Also broke out the zip-ties and got the partially ripped off fender somewhat in place.

pot

Staff member
Siliconintakes is my go to supplier! Sorry to hear they're out of stock on your piping otherwise things seem to be moving along quite nicely. Wish you luck with the project Thomas.

thomcasey

Thanks! heater core is leaking so i will soon be sending you some monies...

Redlinegvr4

I owned that car 10 years ago.. glad to see its still around... sad to see the shape its in.

If at some point you ever want to sell it.... Let me know... I would love to have that car back.

Last edited:

thomcasey

Spent some time this last week chasing down coolant leaks. Found the upper Scirocco radiator hose tube was crushed and cracked. Ordered a new radiator (well, my son that owns the car did), but he ordered a CU98 model instead of the CU837. The difference is the CU98 is about 6" wider. So, it fits, but not as flush because of the headlight area supports. But, it does give more coolant and surface area for cooling.

We also got the GM-MAF installed in a blow-thru configuration now (was in a pull configuration). Now he shouldn,t see the rich readings between shifts when the BOV is venting.

thomcasey

Over the weekend, we pulled the motor (we were getting a little noise we didn't like) for a check-over and refresh. No shavings in the oil yet, but we want to check the clearances and port the OFH to lower the oil pressure. We might go ahead and replace the bearings if it checks out good since we are in there. This motor saw about 25,000 miles in the 1.5 years that this car has been back in our hands (my son DD's the crap outa this thing) so we want to check out any weird noises when they occur. That is why I keep a spare, ready to go motor on a stand.

Installed the spare 1g rod/2g piston motor we had sitting (It has a working cyclone intake and evo8 springs to boot!) and the 14b compressor/16g turbine turbo we had lying around. The e316g was blowing a ton of oil so it was sent off for an upgrade and rebuild. Once it comes back it is going on 1025/2000 and the good e316g from her is going on this motor. A quick turnaround to keep her off jackstands!!

IncorpoRatedX

That car has had a series of strange owners. Good to see it back in good hands. The guy I got it from had put a 2"x8" side exit exhaust that dumped before the rear tire and PVC intercooler piping.

thomcasey

Yea, the engine that we removed is one we installed about 1 1/2 years ago. We thing the build of the motor is questionable. My other son with the GVR4 is running the motor that cam in this car. The motor that was in this car when you sold it is in a 92 Summit AWD Wagon in Southern Indiana. JDM still going strong.

Vanderman

Do you still have this car? I am the original owner. I bought it from Gezon Mitsubishi in Grand Rapids, MI. Loved that car! Never should have sold it. I still have the key fob and might even have the window sticker.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts