The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 7 ecu into vr4

Jim69c

Hi guys I did a quick search on the topic in forum but couldn't find anything, this can't be the first time the topic has come up but I'll ask any way... I'm thinking of running an evo 7 ecu in my vr4.... any thoughts?

tektic

The pinout is available. best bet is to make a jumper harness and flash an Evo 8 Rom on to it. There is extensive mods made for those roms and it would be a much better code to star with.

tyeler18

The 8/3G ecu is much easier to source stateside. I run Evo8s in my galant, 1g and 2g. You can flash a 9653 rom onto the 3G ecu as a cheaper alternative just the only feature not available that the 8 ecu has is ecu controlled boost since the 3G board doesn't have it built onto it. I'm $75 into each of my Evo 8 ecu and the jumper harnesses I've built for free with junkyard ecu parts.

fuel

^^ bear in mind that the OP is in New Zealand where a DSM does not exist.

Jim69c

I only say evo 7 because in NZ evo 8 has a 3 plug ecu like an evo 9, I'll have to look into it some more to see if our 4 plug ecu is the same as the states, I've found heaps of info and pinouts just not sure if I can use NZ ecu or source one from the states

tektic

Best bet is to look at the Evo scan website for the list of compatible ecus and find what is accessible. There are also threads that explain how to flash with vag-com cables from EBay. The list is a little shorter on that list. Either way pick an ecu available to you and make a patch cable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned