The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My other galant, let me show you it,,,,

presterone

Just a little back story, I'm bored and feel like writing.

I've had a thing for galant Vr4s since I first laid eyes on one, and realized what they were and stood for. I wasn't new to cars its been a lifelong obsession but around ten years old I started to grow a fascination with smaller displacement engines making big power, all I knew at the time was big ol V8s and european sports cars, I did not have a computer or internet. I was 14 or 15 and I we lived in a lightly populated coastal town in Maine. I was riding my bike near thomas point beach and saw a gray GVR4 with roof racks backed in on the side of the road with a for sale sign in the window. I don't remember the exact description of the posted AD in the window but I remember "Studderbox" and "NLTS" and thinking "what the f*** is this thing?". The price was way out of my range but I was always plotting and scheming about my first car. I got a job working as a sternman on a lobster boat, making $100 per day at age 15 or so. I blew a lot of money on weed and stupid kid things but I had been pinching away money with that galant in mind. I would ride my bike by it all the time to make sure it was still there and got closer and closer to actually having the money to buy it for my first car. Then of course the car disappeared. It reappeared a year or so later in a wal-mart parking lot. By this time my I was 16 and no longer lived at home, I had dropped out of school and my financial situation was completely fucked so buying that galant went completely out the window.

Years later I get my life together somewhat and starting working with a guy who has a similar taste in cars and becomes a close friend of mine almost like a big brother to me. He mentions a friend in highschool had a GVR4 and we both showed interest in buying one. He finds one for sale way up north in sistertouching county Maine. The car has crazy rust, grass was literally growing through the f***ing floorboards, the spark plug wells are full of water and it has one foot in the grave. The guy selling the car does know it is somewhat rare so I think jeff still ended up buying it for $2000. We get the car and tear apart the undercarriage and start grinding away and preparing the chassis for an undercoat, we end up using "rustoleam rustcap" and it f***ing sucks but the car looks great underneath. We ditched the rusted tank and ran a fuel cell, Jeff bought many parts for the car off you guys on this forum, new FP E3 16G speed density setup yadayada. He gets the car halfway assembled and gives up on the project and sells it to me. I'm thrilled with Joy, I finally get the chance to own a GVR4! I got the car running, daily driving and learned to tune this car and eventually made 322whp, huge deal for me considering we saved this car from the scrapyard.

I've had the car almost five years, I've driven it through winters with the worst calcium chloride sh*t they put on the roads, and I could not fight off the ROT. We didn't do a good enough job with the Rustcap and I just watched the undercarriage get worse and worse until its actually a safety concern. I have to let go of #702. I made friends with a guy who bought #221/1000 from new mexico completely bone stock unmolested and rust free!! It needs paint and he had a GVR4 in the late nineties and realizes they are a bit of a head ache to keep on the road, so he sells it to me.

G

Staff member
Looks nice. I love rust free. I'm pretty sure NM uses salt though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

EMX5636

The BG one was the one you did the shortened bumpers to correct? Sad to see one go, but heavy rust is tough to come back from. Plus I like white better anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jesus_Negros

Rust like that makes me want to puke.

That SW car is very clean though!

presterone

Quoting EMX5636:
The BG one was the one you did the shortened bumpers to correct? Sad to see one go, but heavy rust is tough to come back from. Plus I like white better anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did not shorten the bumpers, I rocked that fatlip diving board bumper to the cars bitter end.

presterone

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Rust like that makes me want to puke.

That SW car is very clean though!

Its so gross and fucked up what happens to new england driven cars, and the people too ! were all cold and depressed watching our beloved VR4s rot away.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts