The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Starts but Stalls Immediately after Built Engine Install

Chad989of2000

Finally got the engine in and everything hooked up. Car starts right up, revs to about 3k and then drops quickly to stall. Build is quite mild, just the usual Wiseco (9.0 pistons), Kelford 272 cams, EVO III 16G, and E-85. Fuel should be find as pressure is reading spot on (I use FIC 1100cc injectors with a re-wired walbro 255hp pump). I use link and have a wideband. I can get the car to stay running if I apply gas, both link and wideband show it funning extremely lean (off the scale on the wideband). I haven't run it for long since it's a brand new build and I don't want to break it in under these conditions. I'm thinking maybe CAS went bad, but it worked fine before the engine build up. Any other routes I should explore?

I certainly already checked for boost/vac leaks and found none.

MellowVR4

Possibly a bad maf.

tektic

Isc not set properly or just not functioning properly.
Log tps isc step and maf to rule out these as possibilities.

Last edited:

prove_it

If your applying the throttle and it stays running, then check your TPS reading and log it to see if it's reading properly. (explains the lean condition too)

Otherwise, I agree with Tektic, your ISC isn't doing it's job otherwise, try backing out the BISS and see if that helps. If the CAS were bad completely then the ignition would not see RPM and fire at all. Chances are that's fine. Next would be the MAF.

Chad989of2000

Thanks for all the immediate responses. I'll start trouble shooting when I get some time. Is the used market the best place to find replacements if anything is found faulty, or are some of these items affordable new?

prove_it

Used parts are fine. They are great for swapping things around to try and find the problem before spending big bucks on new stuff

Chad989of2000

That seems like a solid strategy. Now I just gotta find the time to start diagnosing.

Chad989of2000

Bringing this thread back from the dead....a couple years have passed and I haven't had time to get to the car...until now.

First thing I did was drain the old E85 that was in there. Filled the tank with some fresh 91 octane. I then set about using ECMLink to change my global settings to accommodate the 91 instead of the E85. Tested battery (had it on a tender) and it tested fine. Tested fuel pump with Link and whirs just like it should. The engine turns over but doesn't start. Before I could get it to run with throttle application, now it won't start no matter what I do. Gonna start by checking for spark. Not really thinking the MAF is bad (it's a 482) and has always functioned perfectly. Any other things to check out?

Chad989of2000

Does my math check out?

Chad989of2000

Fuel is getting to the rail. Aeromotive FPR is showing normal fuel pressure after cranking the engine.

strokin4dr

Injectors are clogged up and not spraying. Pull them out and send them off to be cleaned and flow tested.

Chad989of2000

Should have mentioned...brand new FIC 1100cc injectors.

strokin4dr

Have you checked for signal at the injectors?

thomcasey

Are you smelling fuel? What does Link state your coolant temp is?

Chad989of2000

Quoting strokin4dr:
Have you checked for signal at the injectors?

Have not yet, but plan to just to make sure the injectors are functioning properly.

Chad989of2000

Quoting thomcasey:
Are you smelling fuel? What does Link state your coolant temp is?

Not smelling fuel at all. No leaks around the injectors. I will log the coolant temp when I get a moment. Are you thinking coolant temp sensor?

thomcasey

It can definitely cause a not start. if it reads -74, it will dump fuel and flood. If it reads in the high 200's or 300's, it will cut fuel.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Chad989of2000:

Are they the same new parts installed back in 2015? If so, they have sat with fuel having been run through them at some point. If different than those installed then, disregard.

Chad989of2000

Quoting thomcasey:
It can definitely cause a not start. if it reads -74, it will dump fuel and flood. If it reads in the high 200's or 300's, it will cut fuel.

For sure, it is certainly on my list to test.

Chad989of2000

Quoting iceman69510:
Quoting Chad989of2000:

Are they the same new parts installed back in 2015? If so, they have sat with fuel having been run through them at some point. If different than those installed then, disregard.

They are the same from back in 2015. Never had gas run through them...only E85. I've heard that ethanol can get a little gunky over time. I can certainly send them to FIC to get a cleaning and flow check and cross that off my list of possible issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts