The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter troubles.. need help

turboneon

Hello all! I have the ets front mount intercooler and finally got it running good today! On the last test run shifter stuck into gear and i had to ride back in first anyone know if there's a kit that relocates the shifter cables or are my shifter cables bad? it seems as if the front mount pipe (2" pipe on ets) is interfering with the cables. Would adding a throttle body spacer give me more room for my shifter linkage (on transmission) where its close to the intercooler pipe coming into the throttle body? I did try searching for this but i came up empty handed. If anyone has any feedback on this i would greatly appreciate some direction.

Also i cant get the car out of gear from inside the cabin i had to manually shift it on the transmission to get back into the garage. When i tried to shift it just felt as if the shifter linkage came apart, but everything is still hooked up.

Going to take a picture to add here.
img.php
[/url]

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

is the shifter all limp dick both to side or back and forth? If so, it's a busted shift cable. Exact same thing just happened to me in 820. One of the cables came apart right where it attaches to the car in the cabin near the select lever. Pull the shift boot up and take a look at both cables. Chances are, one of them is broken.

turboneon

yea you are absolutely right! Is there a kit to rebuild these shifters? I found most of the stuff from jnz wondering what my options are. Thanks again for the help!

Coltsfan

I had a similar symptom a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be the cable mount at the top of the bell housing had ripped off of the rubber bushings that hold it to the little adapter bracket. A few minutes with a 12mm socket and some washers on the side of the road, and the issue was resolved.
Ps. The problem wasn't obvious at first glance.
Check this bracket!

Last edited:

turboneon

the cable broke on the inside of the car right near one of those brackets just on the inside. i bought a whole shifter assembly and cables from a fourm member.

Update: Just got the shifter stuff in the mail! looks like a fun weekend project!

Last edited:

turboneon

Im not near many boat riggers that I know of, do they replace the sheath over the cable or is it new cables made up?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts