The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I pulled the trigger.

Hello and greetings once more!

The Good: As of yesterday at 2100Hrs I'm an official 1992 VR4 #979/1000 owner! The vehicle runs and drives, hell If I didn't know better I'd say she was half her age. Overall she pulls relatively well, even only at 8PSI (Previous owner wanted overall super reliability) and the engine sounds very healthy. The previous owner slapped in a 16g turbo, a gen3 talon engine thats a six bolt, not a seven bolt. Well what about rust or cancer on her, not a single infected panel, any rust is surface rust which can be removed. The vehicle is all wastegate and it does have a stage 2 TRE tranny in her already. However, now I have to address the obvious issues with her.

The Bad: The front suspension needs work, wheel bearings, tie rods, sway bars, and possibly new springs and dampeners. The anti-lock light is on and I and the previous owner believe its a sensor, to which I cant even begin to fathom where I will find one. To pass smog here in California is possible, but i and the previous owner believes she has a vacuum leak that's not allowing her to pass emissions (She has passed even with the above mentioned items).

The Ugly: I'm looking to preform all of this, before she sees road duty. On top of these issues I will replace and replenish the belts, spark plugs, oil, transmission fluid, air box with a gen 2 mitsu box, coolant flush, and a bigger intercooler.

However, I'm unsure where are the best placed to locate any of these items, are these items replaceable with OEM or OEM like replacements? I would certainly appreciate any and all advice on my new project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSC_0396_zpsrohub3jr.jpg

DSC_0398_zpsercps7nq.jpg

DSC_0395_zpskgbzgsbr.jpg

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Nice! Welcome to hell. Seller told me he sold it last night.

I just uploaded some for you viewing pleasure. But sweet man, I appreciate the help. Wow, JNZ is certainly the place I'll most likely find most of what I need!

If this is hell, then I could get used to this. But seriously, it can't be that bad!

G

Staff member
Looks nice, I bet you got a smokin deal? Any engine pics?

Thanks man, I appreciate the love! She drives straight and true, I just have to address those issues and she'll be road ready in no time.

Quoting G:
Looks nice, I bet you got a smokin deal? Any engine pics?

I sure did man, it was amazing for the price. I thought for sure I'd be bringing a trailer. But I'll post some up tomorrow!

KiNgMaRtY

Awesome! Another local GVR-4! You can get many of those suspension components from Rock Auto as well.

turdb0

you should be able to pass smog if all the emissions equipment are there. Take off things like boost controller or even boost gauge, when heading in. I had one guy question me about the vacuum hose for the boost gauge and it wasn't even hooked up yet. It was just a vacuum hose going from the engine bay to the cockpit with nothing hooked up on either end because I haven't installed it yet.

mitsuturbo

Gen 3 talon engine?
Gen 2 mitsu air box?

There's no such thing and a 3rd gen Talon. I'm not sure what you were told, but the GVR4 and the 1g DSM came with a 6 bolt engine from the factory.
As for a Gen 2 mitsu air box, what are you referring to? A 2nd gen DSM MAF?

In case you didn't already know, the car you just bought is actually a 6th generation galant.

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Gen 3 talon engine?
Gen 2 mitsu air box?

There's no such thing and a 3rd gen Talon. I'm not sure what you were told, but the GVR4 and the 1g DSM came with a 6 bolt engine from the factory.
As for a Gen 2 mitsu air box, what are you referring to? A 2nd gen DSM MAF?

In case you didn't already know, the car you just bought is actually a 6th generation galant.

Yeah I believe the owner was referring to the fact that it was a newer engine out of a DSM and not the stock one, also he said he didn't replace it with a seven bolt engine which he did on a previous vehicle of his.

So for that air box that's what I meant lol, I'm still very green around the edges so forgive me.

Quoting turdb0:
you should be able to pass smog if all the emissions equipment are there. Take off things like boost controller or even boost gauge, when heading in. I had one guy question me about the vacuum hose for the boost gauge and it wasn't even hooked up yet. It was just a vacuum hose going from the engine bay to the cockpit with nothing hooked up on either end because I haven't installed it yet.

Well unfortunately she's not passing smog at the moment. She will barely pass at idle but not anything above it. So I will hide any aftermarket crap when I go in again. Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts