The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coolant system?

MellowVR4

So here is my little issue that I've been having... Ever since I removed my radiator to weld up a leak and refilled my coolant system with coolant. I can't seem to get it burped all of the way. I.E I can remove my radiator cap when the engine is cold ( before even starting it ) and the cap would be pressurized and some coolant comes out ( makes a mess ). Usually the cap will be pressurized when the engine has just been shut off but not when its cold..

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is their still air in the system?
Is my thermostat not opening up?
Do I possibly have a blown headgasket?
Blockage in the system somewhere?

Any help would be great thanks.

prove_it

Do you have another radiator cap? Try swapping that.

MellowVR4

Are you saying it might be too heavy of a spring?

thomcasey

Spring should only be 13 lbs. It should bleed off pressure so when you are cool/cold start there will be no pressure.

MellowVR4

Ok, yeah that makes sense, I will get one from the store and try it.

MellowVR4

I guess my cap can be failing.. It's not that old tho so it would be weird if it is.

prove_it

Always start with the easy stuff. The cap regulates coolant pressure, sounds like it's not releasing properly. Otherwise, do you have an OEM thermostat?

MellowVR4

I do believe it has an OEM one in their, But that could be failing too if its not the cap.

prove_it

I wouldn't think it would keep the system pressurized like the cap would.

As far as air is concerned, doubt that. I do recommend these for burping. I have one at home and at work.
Coolant bucket.

MellowVR4

I heard those work sweet, im definitely picking one of those.

prove_it

If you can, get the newer version with a lid. It makes a difference.

prove_it

I see what you did there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

matt92vr4

I second the coolant bucket. Very cool tool.

MellowVR4

Well it seems changing the radiator cap worked with the pressure build up issue I was having... I also replaced my thermostat which was really gunked up with minerals from the tap water I'm guessing. I feel like I might have to replace my cheap water temp gauge to a better one, seems to be inconsistent with the readings. When I come up to a stop the temp will go up slightly over 200 but my stock gauge will not move from its normal state ( which is a little bit to the left from the center). Once I take off it'll come back down below 200, still my stock gauge doesn't move at all. I purchased the coolant bleeder funnel ( works great btw )and burped the system. My sensor probe for the AM gauge is a little loose So I feel like its not reading properly...

prove_it

The stock coolant gauge is horribly inaccurate. You can be at a temp between 180 and 210 and it will show the same position. By the time it moves to hot, your already pushing 230.

MellowVR4

I did have a 180 stat in it before, now I have a 195 (stock) and its never ran this hot. might be going back to the 180.

marvinmadman

Be sure to get an OEM Stat or a Murry Ultrastat. The valves are actually bigger in these.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

I bought it from napa and it was their ALTROM line so its like oem. very good quality stat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts