The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Noise at low RPM

Iggy

I've got a strange noise coming from my engine bay at Low RPMs. It seems to almost disappear at 21-2300PRM. It also comes back if you let RPMS drop quickly.

I took a video of what's going on. I forgot to turn my radio off tho. I may redo it without the radio interference.
click
If any one's got an idea of where to start looking I'd appreciate the suggestion.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Glad you posted that.

Now, with that noise in mind, I would suggest parking your car until you get it figured.

I am wondering if you have the timing belt contacting the outer plastic shell or something to that effect?

Sounds like a card in the bicycle spokes kinda noise?

There aren't many things that can make that sort of noise, nor do I hear them like that much at work (any car can roll in, sort of deal...)

It's a little off from what a power steering pump whine should sound like.

Any work recently performed? Even if it was last season.

marvinmadman

Kind of hard to tell. Check your oil for shavings. I also second the suggestion to pull the upper timing cover and have a peek

Last edited:

Iggy

Well I've only had the car two months and driven it a total of 30-40 miles. To my knowledge the only recent maintenance in that area was a new alternator, recent meaning since it taken out of storage this March.
The power steering pump could be suspect as the steering does feel pretty heavy, but I thought that might just be the car, as it is 6-700 lbs heavier than the Hondas I'm used to.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The power steering in my Colt isn't far off from your Galant, so it shouldn't be that hard to maneouver the car with, assuming it is working and RPMs are appropriate.

There may also be a switch pin on the front of the pump, make sure that is attached to the harness that runs back down by the alternator.

Screw driver to your ear or a stethoscope and probe around, just don't get your body pulled into any weird situations near the belts!!!

thomcasey

Yes, definitely check the oil for shavings and the timing cover. I have heard that noise with a dying balance shaft.They buzz at lower rpms, get quieter at higher rmps. Then, as the bearings wear on them, they get noisy all the time.

Definitely park it until you can diagnose it.

Iggy

a member on another forum said it could be the harmonic balance, and that they are a common point of failure on early 4g63s. Lets hope it's not the balance shaft. taking off the oil pan do not look fun.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned