The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Robbies 1137/2000 build

Mdlimy

Well, as of yesterday i am the new owner of the 1137 1991 VR-4 Galant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I drove it almost 300 miles home, on what seemed like a little more than 3 cylinder but definitely not all 4. After some pressure washing and a soapy bath i decided to do a compression test. Only to find out that 3 cylinder have about 90psi and one cylinder is at 0...its safe to say i am after a healthy stocker to toss in until i can complete a full rebuild on this motor.

The car needs shocks, they are completely wasted, so i am in the process of researching to find out what i want to replace them with. I will also take a look at all the suspension and steering components.

My goal here is to get it driving properly, then clean up the body, and then a build for about 400awhp.

I am no stranger to building cars, or things with turbos and i have real hard time leaving anything stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Full build for 400awhp isn't really needed. Just do stock stuff, or find a low mileage JDM import engine to swap in (if that's still something that can be done). Looks nice. PNW car, so should be rust free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Staff member
So you didn't inspect the motor before buying it?

GSTwithPSI

Maybe he got a great deal on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Chassis looks clean enough. Depending on how shot the motor is, I'd say under $2500 out the door and it's probably a good buy.

What are your plans for it OP?

Last edited:

turbowop

Maybe he was worried more about finding a rust free shell than about finding a car with a perfect stock engine. I'm sure you can respect that, G. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The motor can be replaced easily anyway. 4G63t's are like the SB350 of the import world...

Mdlimy

I did inspect it but i did not do a compression test, i knew i was taking a risk but it wasn't smoking so i just hoped it had a stuck injector or bad plug. Oh well, swapping a motor is not a big deal to me, i would like to tear into the tranny and fix the the 3rd gear synchro anyways.

Yes PNW car, rust free, its actually in nice shape, i am happy with it for a starting platform. I know i dont need a full build for my goals but it is getting harder and harder to find real healthy 6bolt motors that run smooth like a fresh rebuild. I like the peice of mind of a motor that i have had apart, and for the cost of forged internals i don't mind ponying up and doing it, nothing extensive but forged rods, pistons, cams and some valve train.
For now, i will be on the hunt for a good priced running 6 bolt, i will most likely stud it and replace the hg and timing components before i put it in.

Mdlimy

Turbowop, you nailed it. I can build the drivetrain all day long, no problems there. Finding a clean vr4 and dumping tons of time and money into the chassis is something i dont want to do.

Mdlimy

Plans are not set in stone. I have several projects on the stove at the moment and the most important one being buying a house. Until i purchase a house this car wont be getting and crazy amount of work done. I will be doing what i call a "stage 0", getting back to a good running and driving car with all the maintenance done, then i can start modifying it.

I know i will fab a tubular twin scroll manifold but the turbo has yet to be decided, possibly a 30r. Ecmlink, 3" fmic, aluminum radiator, ev14 750cc, water/meth, etc... who knows, my build tend to get a bit out of hand, it will probably end up with a hx55 and a bottle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSTwithPSI

Before you chalk the motor up as trashed, do some diagnosis to try and isolate the cause of the low compression. A lot of things could cause shitty compression. You may get lucky and have crappy valves or a blown HG rather than worn rings. Just food for thought.

If you need help with anything, make sure you post here. This forum is a great resource for the novice and veteran GVR4 owner alike.

Last edited:

Mdlimy

Leak down test confirmed bent valves in cylinder 2, which explains 0psi on the gauge, I haven't checked the other cylinders but the fact that they have 90 psi indicates the valves are not bent and the cause for low compression could be either rings, valves that aren't seating very well or headgasket. I will do a leak down on the other cylinders and record the results before yanking the head.

What is the general consensus for headgasket brands? Oem?
Cometic is out of be picture since I'm not willing to deck the block at the moment, but the head won't go back on without being resurfaced.

turbowop

Everybody likes a different flavor of headgasket. I installed a Mitsu MLS and ARP studs way back in '03 on my car. Head was resurfaced, block was untouched other than some minor prep work by me while the motor was still in the car. Thousands of miles and a decade+ of over 400whp on pump/meth and it's still going strong.

GSTwithPSI

On the composite side of the house, you have the Fel-Pro (9627PT) or Mitsu OEM composite, both of which are possible choices capable of 400 + WHP. The composites are a bit more forgiving on surfaces that aren't freshly machined, and will somewhat contour to slight imperfections in the sealing surfaces.

Regardless of the gasket used, I would upgrade to a set of ARP head studs as Mark pointed out in his post.

EHmotorsports

welcome to the .ORG! I know you will get it in tip top shape in no time.

Mdlimy

I'm going to enjoy this community a lot, I can tell. A lot of other car communities are getting over ran by idiots and I find my self posting less and less on the forums. Its nice to see a welcoming forum with knowledgeable members that know what grammar is!

I just ordered a Felpro headgasket set and a gates timing belt kit from extremepsi, i will yank the head off this week, hopefully i can get it back in decent running condition, just to hold me over long enough to find a spare 6bolt and do a refresh on it.

So the last car I built was a 1990 bmw 535i. It ended up with a holset he351cw, 750cc, vems standalone, etc...entire build and fab all done by me. Trap speeds indicate about 420whp.

I recently just built a custom turbo setup for my 2008 ducati hypermotard 1100s, it uses a td04 15g and runs on microsquirt, it makes 115whp at 5.5psi...stock is about 75whp. I hope to make about 130whp on 8psi.

I have a long term bmw e30 project that is ongoing but wont receive any love until i move and build a shop where I can safely work on it. That car is getting a volvo 5 cylinder turbo 2.3l and a gt3582R and vems standalone. Heres a few pics for anyone interested. Just figured I would give you an idea of what I like to do. Ive done all sorts of other builds too, a couple 1jz s chassis swaps, some other bmw swaps etc...Looking forward to working with this VR-4!

/introduction

Lancer99

Here we're grammar nazi's. But yes welcome to the forum, also a guide to the internet on the anything goes section. Enjoy!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
So to that point, "nazis", plural, not possessive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Staff member
Looks pretty clean, I didn't realize you knew it wasn't running right when you inspected it. Hopefully you didn't pay a lot for it and the seller was honest about the motor. Like I always say "there is always a reason (mechanical) a car is for sale" and it's up to the buyer to figure out why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ShaggyTE

I'd say that's a pretty decent introduction... I mean the bmw and bike look just OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome to the .org!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts