The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speedo Limits

Yao

Anybody knows how the speedometer works? what happens when you hit the stopper right after 150mph? would it break? or would the speedo simple stop as the car continues to speed pass 150mph?

prove_it

It just stops at the needle stop. May cause internal spring damage if left there for long time or constantly hitting the stop, but I doubt that happens much.

fuel

A Galant VR-4 can sustain more than 150mph? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Yao

hmm.... I guess no chance of hitting 180 without damage the speedo then.. Can't believe the top speed is dictated by the speedo... usually it's the other way around.

ApexHunter

If it is a concern, perhaps look into removing the needle stop?

Are you doing half mile or mile racing or something?

prove_it

Quoting Yao:
hmm.... I guess no chance of hitting 180 without damage the speedo then.. Can't believe the top speed is dictated by the speedo... usually it's the other way around.

Um, yea, you better have something else than a B16G to hit 180......

Fiascoxl

Mine has seen 167 and 173 via GPS and comes down from those speeds perfectly. Its hard to account how fast you really are going until you let off and its still buried for a second or two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:

r4pt0x

The speedometer needle isn't directly attached to the shaft, so nothing can break. It is attached to a freely rotating metal "cup" which is preloaded counter-clockwise by the spring and getting pulled clockwise by the two magnets driven by the input shaft, which also actuate the reed switch. It's a rather simple and imprecise system, thats why those old speedos are as accurate as a moon-calendar and got replaced by moving-coil instruments in the mid/late 1990's models.

The needle will just stop at the stop pin right above the temperature gauge. At my FWD Galant the needle always stopped right above 240kph but I had >280kph readings on gps and evoscan logs (which are calculated from the reed switch signal) multiple times... As soon as the speed drops the needle will again follow the actual speed.

Yao

Thanks!! that's what I want to hear!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts