The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch fork position

GSTwithPSI

I'm mating my engine and transmission together before dropping the motor in my car. Once the transmission is bolted up to the block, it seems like my clutch fork is sitting a bit too far toward the driver side of the window in the bellhousing. I have just under a 1/4" between the edge of the clutch fork and the edge of the window. There's nothing that I can find that's abnormal about my setup, so I'm thinking the pressure plate fingers just might be taller than average. I'm not super worried, but want someone to sanity check this. Here are all the details:

-Centerforce dual friction organic/carbon composite clutch & pressure plate
-ACT StreetLite Flywheel
-clutch fork in good condition
-New Mitsu OEM TOB
-New pivot ball (not shimmed)
-starter plate is installed

Can someone look at these pictures and throw in their .02?

Just under 1/4" of space in this picture:
WP_002206.jpg

WP_002204.jpg

WP_002207.jpg

WP_002208.jpg

turbowop

That looks way too far to the right. Also, pic two makes it look like the fork isn't fully seated on the pivot ball.

*edit* Maybe it is fully seated. Hard to tell in that pic. I can't tell wtf is going on, but it looks too far from center.

Last edited:

diambo4life

It really will depend. Most of the times sitting too far to the right like that is from shimming the pivot ball quite a bit. Most DSM clutch setups work best with the fork almost in the middle of that window. Mine sits almost like that but I have an ACT 3200 which required it to fully disengage. The only real test is to make sure the clutch will not start slipping on you prematurely.

PS: I had the CFDF in my Galant about two years ago and that worked perfectly with the fork in the "normal" middle position.

Last edited:

prove_it

Is it a new flywheel, or machined? Seems off to me for what parts you have. Is it a 2nd gen revised clutch fork?

GSTwithPSI

The fork is definitely seated on the pivot ball. Far as the fork goes, it's not a 2g fork that I'm aware of. It came out of my old transmission, which worked fine at the time, so unless someone swapped it, it's not from a 2g.

Flywheel is used, but never machined.

Last edited:

prove_it

Hard to tell, but in the second pic it looks like the fork is touching the PP. If it is or the clearance is super thin, I'd say there is something wrong with the fork, or the pivot ball.

I don't think it should be that far off from center with that clutch set-up.

GSTwithPSI

Well, the pivot ball is new. The fork clears the pp fine where it's currently sitting.

I suppose the fork could be wrong, I just assumed not since it was out of the other 1g trans. Ill need to do some research and figure out what different revisions there are, and how they could affect position.

tektic

What was the step height of the flywheel? I'm pretty sure that was my issue.

prove_it

There is only one revision on the fork. The 2g was a redesign that is much stronger and has better clearance. It still has the same dimensions, so I doubt it would make a difference. Yours could be bent, but it would be in the wrong direction. In fact Mitsu will sell you a 2G one when ordering a fork for a 1G.

Even if the flywheel was never machined, you still need to check step height. You can't assume it's right. Also I'd measure the thickness of the disc and call southbend to verify it's the right disc. After that, I really don't know what would cause this.

Coltsfan

I would be seriously worried abut the thickness of the disc. As it wears, it's only going to move closer to the right. There has to be something wrong.

belize1334

You could also run into an issue with the fork rubbing against the casting of the pressure plate. Happened to me once. Started it up - sounded like a woodpecker on crack. It turned out I had overshimmed the pivot ball. Had to pull the trans to fix it...

GSTwithPSI

I'll pull it back apart and take some measurements/pictures of the assembly. Thanks for the help guys.

One other question...Any of you still running a stock cast flywheel? Word on the street is, they explode. Any truth to that?

Last edited:

prove_it

They CAN. It's happened, but not to anyone I've known. Lightened ones will for sure.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Probably very dependent on how hard/how often you launch. I can't see it happening from normal usage unless the flywheel has gotten damaged/cracked and continues to be used.

prove_it

Forgot about that, never running a stock wheel ever again.

holeshotmoe

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
...Any of you still running a stock cast flywheel? Word on the street is, they explode. Any truth to that?

Pulled this G-bomb about a year ago.

holeshotmoe

I think the fork is on the ball correctly. Darkness conceals the far end from view. Here is a picture of a new set from the top, then a couple more at an angle similar to your #2 picture.

EMX5636

If you didn't shim the pivot ball, and have pressure plate clearance, I wouldn't worry. You want the fork about 2/3 through the window for proper disengagement. Usually the step height is the other way (deeper) and the fork will only be about halfway, and will put the pedal engagement all the way at the floor.

WaRrIoRs16

My fork is sitting in about that same location. I shimmed my pivot ball til it was at that location because otherwise my clutch wasn't disengaging until the pedal was on the floor. It works fine for me. I have a new ACT 2600 setup, fresh surface on a fidanza flywheel, brand new OEM TOB, new OEM pivot ball, new OEM fork, and I bleed the clutch correctly but it wouldn't disengage properly without the fork that far over.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned