The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 Talon turbo TPS Help

wfovr42

Working on a 91 talon turbo awd, runs like crap when u give it gas, hesitates and surges when u give it gas. Owner took it to the dealer and they said TPS was bad. I put an Ohm meter on the #2 and #4 to watch the resistance as u open the throttle. It starts out fine until its gets to about 1.3 ohms and then goes down as u continue to open the throttle. Does the exact same thing with the new TPS installed. any ideas? Im thinking its not the tps. Thx

fourforty

i am sorry to nitpick. but obviously you are new. i would ask that you take the time to use proper spelling and so on. it makes it easier for us to read and in turn help you out. if you fell that the throttle is giving the right signal, check wiring. if that isn't the problem it may be another sensor or at the worst case scenario the ECU could be fried. more explanation will always help us tell you where to look.

badams

^^^ Proper spelling? Did you read what you wrote?

if you fell that the throttle is giving the right signal, check wiring.

Coltsfan

The problem is probably the idle switch or closed throttle switch. The throttle stop is a switch; make sure it switches.

wfovr42

I checked the throttle stop switch and it is not switching consistently. Thought I would run down the the parts store and pick one up, no go! Nobody has them, not even the dealer. Are they fixable or do you know of another source to get one?
Thx

Coltsfan

I must have a half dozen used ones laying around my shop. Are you sure there's sufficient slack in your throttle cable? I have never seen one of those switches fail. You could probably find it on more than one model of Mitsubishi too if you have a junkyard in your area.

PS. You should also make sure the switch is adjusted properly. If the throttle blade closes against the bore, you may need to screw the switch in few more threads.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned