The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1991 Galant have acceleration issues

rr3209

Hi, newbie here.
I live in Florida and got a 1990 V4 single cam standard Mitsubishi Galant back in January of 2014 to drive back and forth to work. The master and slave cylinders were replaced in maybe July after some leakage and has pretty much been driving decently since that time. We have a lot of hills where we live and I noticed over the last few weeks that it has had a harder and harder time getting over them. Over the last The last few days I'v had to hit 3100 RPMs to get up a moderate incline @ 35MPH until last night when I literally had to push the back of the car to get it to go up the driveway. It's had some heavy oil leakage but hasn't really run all that hot. Could this be the clutch going out or the engine? The engine isn't making any weird noises or blowing smoke. Where should I start with this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

prove_it

Does the engine rev up without a gain in speed?

rr3209

Yes, I step on the gas and the engine revs normally but doesn't move forward much. When I'm going up hills I normally drop it into a lower gear, like 3rd and that gives a little extra speed.

rr3209

It's like it doesn't accelerate no matter how the engine sounds. The shifter seems a little sloppy but doesnt hang up and shifts ok while the clutch petal is pressed down

prove_it

Sounds like a slipping clutch, if speed doesn't increase but rpms do then it's slipping. You might also notice a burning smell.

idreamidrive

Also, if you are having oil leaking issues, it might be also the rear main seal leaking onto the clutch and making everything worse.

Also, you don't have a V4 engine. It is an inline 4, but that is a pet peeve of mine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts