The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

aem tre boost or factory boost 1g solenoid

vr4hotness

Hi all,

I currently have aem tru boost set up on my vr4 it came with my car since I've had it.

But I thinking I want to set up the factory boost 1g solenoid and control boost threw ecmlink, or do you guys think the aem tru boost is better for my current set up

Mods
Evo3 turbo
Evo8 maf
Pe880
ets fmic
Walbro 255
Delta 272 just installed.(anyone want to help me tune them) lol

Fiascoxl

Why don't you just wire in the solenoid that came with the AEM straight in? I've used both factory and MAC solenoids and the MAC valve is quicker responding to adjustments and less prone to leaving the wastegate "hang" open.

prove_it

I personally have no interest in the truboost. I've seen so many have issues with them and not control boost right.

Sell it off and use the money for another upgrade.

Run the link boost control. Take the time to set it up. I truly love it. It's not perfect but I really like having one less gadget to wire and plumb up, plus having all the engine controls in one place is really nice.

vr4hotness

Ya tru boost is really a headache to set up, so that's why I wanted to set up the stock set up again and run the .025 restrictor pill and run it threw ecmlink.

I've been told also to ditch it all and run a 3port.

prove_it

Never had an issue with my stock boost solenoid. It's 20+yrs old and works. It's not the fastest or best, but is stock looking. I had no issue running gear based boost with a mid rpm spike dialed in.

89Patches

My tru boost works really well surprisingly! (I never have luck with boost controllers)

As said before use the solenoid that came with the AEM. Pretty sure it's the same one ECMlink sells you.

prove_it

In order for the stock BCS to work with the link based boost control you need a .025" boost "pill" or restrictor. With out it the solenoid can't hold boost properly.

prove_it

Just follow the ECMlink how to guide. Pretty simple from there.

transparentdsm

i bought the 3 port IR and for the money i think its completely worth it. i never used the stock one, but i installed this and within 2 6k rpm pulls i had it dialed in at 22psi

prove_it

The IR is more accurate and faster than the stock solenoid. It's better, but the stocker works good.

thruarod

I used a ~.030" MIG welder fitting that I ground down a little and stuck inside the rubber hose and the stock old BCS. Crude but it works well. Was able to dial between 15psi wastegate boost up to 27 at around 85% base duty cycle on my 20G.

transparentdsm

Quoting vr4hotness:
I thought about a 3port also, but not sure how to install that also

real easy. there are two wires that come off it, they attach to the stock BCS plug and it doesn't matter where the wires go. i just cut the connector off a junk car. its an easy connector to find. same as the master brake cylinder harness in most cars.

prove_it

Quoting vr4hotness:
Oh nice, ya I'm having a hard time timing to one one local

Hard time finding what? Stock BCS? wiring? 3 Port Ir solenoid?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts