The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Viscous front LSD

AcidNeo

Hello everyone) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My name is Vladimir, I'm from Russia and are looking for your Mitsubishi GALANT viscous front LSD and LSD central diff .

I have MMC GALANT, E39A, SuperVR-4, 2000DOHC-MPI/4WD/4WS, automatic transmission W4A33.

I'm not sure, was asked whether viscous front LSD on cars with automatic transmission, so I ask you to clarify this point.

I know on cars with manual transmission was put viscous front LSD ( MMC GALANT, EA, 2000DOHC-MPI/4WD VR-4 RS,5FM/T).

P.S My English is bad, I use translator, I apologize)

ktmrider

Translator did very well.

No E39A model Galant coming to USA had front LSD, it was open differential.

Maybe someone from UK or Australia can be of more help.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The guys here will know this answer.

If you can use the differential from a standard transmission, in an automatic transmission, then do this:

Install a Quaife, just like I did into my FWD DSM transmission.

AWD DSM = AWD GVR4 transmission for installing differentials.

Make sure you know how many " splines per axle " you have to install and match the differential and the inner axle cups.

Before 1992.5 DSM axles were 25 spline, after 1992.5 DSM axles were 27 spline.

Galant VR4 axles, I will let the guys here tell you when the axles changed from 25 to 27 spline.

I used a Quaife AWD front differential in a 1992 FWD DSM transmission, to match by 25 spline axles (C53A Mirage turbo).

AWD front differential into an AWD transmission is plug and play, and requires much less work than installing into a FWD transmission.

I recommend this differential setup.

This will get you proper torque split at the front wheels while cornering and will help with launches also.

It will not deliver 100% torque when one wheel looses all traction, but it works 99.9% better than all other options, with less feedback through your steering.

They come with a lifetime warranty to the original buyer.

If you cannot use a standard front diff in an automatic transmission, then at least you know there is another option if you go with a standard transmission.

What kind of driving will the car be doing? Drag racing? Road racing? Dirt Rally Racing? Auto-Cross/Auto-X ??

Last edited:

AcidNeo

Thank you for your help))) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The machine is used in city mode, perhaps in the future will be something like the occasional rally gravel (underground) stations.
I wrote to the office Quaife USA - they said that my car they have nothing. Here in Russia, too, there is nothing, there is a lock on Galanta 8th generation. But also their units, because of the very high cost.

AcidNeo

I'm looking for 2 years for LSD rear drive gear. Now I have a set of drives and 2 rear LSD gearbox.
That's why decided to try to find the front LSD differential.

I know that on the MMC Galant E38A (2000DOHC-MPI/4WD,[SNPF4] VR-4 RS,5FM/T) was LSD front diff, but it only puts on cars with manual transmission. Partnamber LSD lock MD 738 900

EMX5636

FlyingEagle is correct with the FWD, but all AWD differentials all had the same spline, only difference like your picture shows, is the factory viscous style has the extra nub to engage the Viscous. I'm not sure if any Evolution's had the viscous, but their diff is the same fit as long as you match up final drive ratio. You could look for a mechanical front LSD from an early Evo, and they work much better.

EMX5636

Wait nevermind, I just looked back and saw Automatic. Member "fuel" on here is a much better information center than I, but I'm not aware of any factory LSD for an Auto in these years. Maybe he'll chime in and verify.

fuel

there is no LSD available for the W4A33 automatic transmission - only the W5M33 manual transmission.

EMX5636

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Thanks. I didn't think so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned