The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Factory Valve Cover Color

Spyke169

I want to clean up my valve cover and apply a fresh coat of paint however I'm having a hard time finding paint that matches the factory valve cover color. Does anybody know where I could get paint that matches?

Wizardawd

I'd just pick any color or a red that you think looks close. It's not like there is anything you are matching it too anyways. It was the only thing red under the hood unless you have the JDM intake. And even then, they have faded over time.

I painted one in the satin wrinkle red that the hondas used on the type r motors, looked better than the factory red anyways.

Look at it in this pic.

click

Wiz

Spyke169

I was a bit confused at first, until I remembered... Galant VR4 valve cover is red, what I am asking about is for my Galant GSX. So I guess my next question is, because I want under the hood to be how it rolled of the production line, does anyone know if the Galant GSX had a valve cover like that of a VR4 or like a DSM? Currently it has a DSM style valve cover...

maroonmetallic

If I'm not mistaken, the GGSX had a similar vc to my old 92 GGSR.
Its a silver cover with "Mitsubishi" but no diamonds.
The lettering is red similar to the original 1G DSM vc's.

-Shawn

Spyke169

Well in that case I will have to keep my eyes open for one. In the mean time, I have a spare "Mitsubishi" cover with the diamonds, has anyone found a silver paint that matches factory color?

89Mirageman

All the valve covers that I've pulled from early galant gs' and gsx's had Mitsubishi and the diamond logo on top. The ones from the 1.6 engines had Mitsubishi only. I believe JNZ has a powder coat color that's very close to the original silver color.

Spyke169

Excellent, Thanks.

Coltsfan

I think duplicolor engine enamel matches pretty well if you use the Aluminum color followed by the clear.

GSX_TC

Justin at Detective Coating powdercoat's them to a very close red called "Mirror Red" I love it.

Looks great in the bay, And lasts way longer than paint.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
CSM vc.

csm_vc.jpg

Wizardawd

The silver is probably the same color used on most rims of the period. I believe the name used was Argent Silver.

Wiz

BoostedAWD91

Ive tried to paint my valve cover the factory red color and i tried 2-3 different red high temp paints you get at all the parts store and all of them turned out more of a orange than a red so im gonna have to strip it all back down again and go with a different color since i can't find a red paint thats acutally red

EHmotorsports

try a red or black primer then use a red you like. it helps make the shade slightly darker.

89Mirageman

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
Ive tried to paint my valve cover the factory red color and i tried 2-3 different red high temp paints you get at all the parts store and all of them turned out more of a orange than a red so im gonna have to strip it all back down again and go with a different color since i can't find a red paint thats acutally red

Find a Hobby Shop that sells RC cars and buy some paint made by Pactra for the clear Lexan bodies. The color you want is Racing Red. The cans are tiny and pretty expensive (about $6-$7) but one can will paint a VC. This paint is very strong and fuel/heat resistant for the gas powered RC cars. I've been using this stuff for a while with no issues.

Last edited:

Spyke169

I should have been more specific, this is on my GGSX. The valve cover that is on there now is the same as G posted. Mitsubishi without the diamonds. The valve cover color (as well as the DSMs I've owned) has always looked to me like a slightly different silver than most rattle can silver colors. Maybe it is from all the oil that gets spilled, and puked from the oil fill cap, on it over the course of 20 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BoostedAWD91

Anyone tried the duplicolor perfect match? It matches pretty well I'm just curious how well to heat it will hold up.
Also how does everyone paint the lettering a different color and get that nice crisp line. I tried masking off the lettering and it didn't turn out as nice as I hoped

Wizardawd

I sand my letters clean, then put vaseline on them. Paint the VC, once it dries, wipe the vaseline off. Something silimar can be done if you paint the letters, etc. Just do the letters first since you usually don't want to try to detail them after the rest is painted or you risk damaging it. Also can try wax. Basically something harmless that wipes off easily.

Wiz

Coltsfan

You can use the plastic "fine line" masking tape, or just mask over the whole lettering area, then cut the tape around the letters with a razor blade.

This is duplicolor engine enamel with clearcoat of the same type. After you run it for a while, it looks just like the original stuff.

See the change?

Last edited:

Spyke169

Excellent, I will give that a shot, thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned