The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

switched ecu's,now engine wont turn off when ignition is off

lancerglx

Ok,so i managed to get hold of an ecu with same part number as my original since im suspecting a faulty ecu because of my barometric pressure sensor fault,i replaced the ecu and the car started fine but when i turned off the ignition the engine doesnt die,like the mpi has a constant feed,but i have never had this problem with old ecu.i put back the old one it it shut down as normal when u turn off the ignition.Could there be something different in the ecu even though it has the same part number???
Is there a way to fix this at least to run the car for a few days to see if the ecu is my other issue at least??
I m really hoping its not a another faulty ecu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

strokin4dr

Let's start with some information about your car. Year, original market? Also, post pics of both ecu's with and without covers so we can see part numbers and the boards. Also, cases can easily be swapped so the part number might not mean much.
-Ryan

lancerglx

i cant seem to find the part number,does the number stamped on the connector block tell you anything....where the 3 plugs from the cars harness meet the plug into the ecu???
I ve got 20B stamped there on the recent one i purchased,the one that wont shut down when i turn the ignition off.

ktmrider

^^ See this site: click

Pics of the 1g cover off shows the ECU side white connector and motherboard serial number. One is 0878M and the other is 6576E, letter E = EPROM and 6576 = last four digits of the ECU model type.

And here is the link for determining which ECU the four digit number equates to: click

Use the E2T* number. It also has the FWD/AWD/CA/Federal resistor configuration ( R129 and R130 ).

Last edited:

lancerglx

these are a few pics of the ecu,its the older version dual board,this is the replacement i bought,it has md 128618 on the cover but is not identical to the other i have on the car.
Like i said ,this one wont turn off when you shut the ignition off

lancerglx

click
click
the second pic is the ecu that came with engine...the replacement doesnt have the sort of chip or whatever it is that has e 657 on it.
i know the dual boards cant be chipped,...all i want is a running ecu to see if the stall is caused by a faulty ecu.i dont want to swap my maf before i swap the ecu just in case the ecu is making it go bad.........please if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
MD128618 shows up from my listings as this:

MD128618 1988 GVR4 JDM MT E39A E2T33372 E657 J-Spec Dual Board Eprom/Non Eprom - 195hp

Confirmed in ASA as being an early E39A option for an ECU.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned