The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: Carbon Fiber Hood Group Buy (Feeler)

pot

Staff member
Okay gents here it is:

These Group Buy's have gone incredibly and horribly wrong since as long as I can remember. I'm hoping to change all that and apply a little common sense to this madness. So here's the skinny:

I've been in contact with a company called Extreme Dimensions (Please see below):

Extreme Dimensions (Web Page)

Facebook Page (Facebook Page)

Through the course of a week, myself and a representative from Extreme Dimensions, Michael Koldus (Account Manager) have been exchanging message traffic regarding such topics as:

1.) What is the minimum quantity to produce?
2.) Do you need a donor hood?
3.) Do you require a deposit/what amount?
4.) What would be total cost including shipping CONUS?
5.) How long would it take to produce and ship?

Thus far we have identified the following requisites that will see this project through. Please see criteria identified below:

1.) 15 Orders (minimum)
2.) Yes, a galant member will need to drop off a hood to Extreme Dimension. They are located at:

Extreme Dimensions, Inc.
1920 West Malvern Avenue
Fullerton, CA 92833

3.) 25% Deposit required (Non-Refundable) *Thats where we will be rolling the dice on this group buy in addition to fitment/shipping damage
4.) $500.00 for each hood. Actual shipping cost to be determined *Anyone wanna chime in on shipping cost experience from Hi-Rev
5.) Production will take 5-6 Months

In order to make this project work it will undoubtedly require teamwork and support from across the galant board membership. I firmly believe if we partner up on this and exhibit a little esprit de corps we can see this project through. Thus far I've identified the following tasks that will aid in our accomplishment of the mission:

- A donor hood from a galant member residing close to Fullerton, CA
- An agreement on what hood we want. There is no splitting down the middle, its either JDM or stock.
- A member to check on production weekly *No if and or buts about this badboy. We're not going to be taken for a ride so this has to happen
- A member to check fitment on the very first hood to ensure fitment/function
- Assign TurboNegro roundhouse family members duties if the milk turns out to be sour

I've given Extreme Dimensions a few requirements during the course of our discussion. They are cited below:

- Weekly updates via Email
- 3 Photos a week once the project begins
- Permission for a member to visit their facility once a week to verify status of production

*I'm considering having Extreme Dimensions sign a legal binding contract with our 15 buyers prior to the deposit

*I have left out one concern thus far and thats method of payment. I remember a member being charged twice on either their Debit or Credit Card regarding the Hi-Rev fiasco. I do like the Credit Card option myself personally however I request input from our membership. I may have left out other particulars and if so lets discuss this in detail.

In summary, I believe we as a board can see this project through but we must pull our collective resources together and figure out this project together. I think I have a 65% solution here however what caused the other Group Buy's to fail? If we can address those previous failures and maintain a no bullshit posture with Extreme Dimensions I think we can pull this off. Lets talk about this gents.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
This is by far the most well thought out attempt, yet, on paper.

Money will still have to leave hands, get burned up, and product will have to return to said hands.

It's a nervous situation, mostly considering the past, but moving forward ... just has to happen.

Am I looking to buy a hood, no.

Do I want to see things like this work for the members here, that have money to put where their mouth is, and can see it through; YES.

89Patches

JDM Hood!! f*** the stock hood!! I'd be down for one if a JDM CF hood is made. But this would also make me want a truck as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wasn't around for the other group buy but from the stories I've heard I am skeptical of this though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

manikbastrd

Depending on cost I would do it. Definitely JDM. Why would I want s stock hood? Are we talking Dry carbon or wet? I assume wet, but I have to ask.

VR4Scott

Carbonetics Carbon Fiber has been incredible for the DSM community over the past 2 years. I'd be more inclined to use them.

click

They have developed multiple new products for 1g and 2g without much outside influence: dash pocket tray for 2g airbags, 2g rear hatch with built in CSL style spoiler, and even a full roof replacement for a 1g. I've bought from them in their group buys and was very happy with turnaround time and product quality. I can talk to the owner and get answers to these questions as well.

G

Staff member
Pot, did you ask where they are being made? Mexico or on site? I would recommend the deposit and final payment be made on a credit card with a no nonsense dispute/ refund policy. So if there are problems everyone is reimbursed. Paypal and your screwed.

LIV4PSI

Quoting manikbastrd:
Why would I want s stock hood? Are we talking Dry carbon or wet? I assume wet, but I have to ask.

Because stock hoods are so heavy it would be 22lbs lighter

VR4Scott

Likely the latter as that's how most are made.

IncorpoRatedX

I'm down for this; if it's the JDM hood.

Otherwise, no thanks.

Great job on the write up Pot.

jnava

Staff member
This is interesting, I think a jdm would be nice. But i think since some have been burned on deals like this, you should put your name on it too,since youre putting this together. If you vouch your name, I'm in.

mitsuturbo

I just want a fg one. The added cost of the bs fake cf just isn't worth it. I'd be painting it anyway.

strokin4dr

I got burned by the hi-rev deal and never recovered my money. That being said, I would be interested if it's a jdm hood and credit card payment is an option...

strokin4dr

Also, a cheaper fiberglass version would work for me too. It would definitely be painted either way.

ghostinthevr4

Quoting tektic:
JDM hood sounds good. 5-6 weeks sounds bad.

Go back to the OP and re read it it's not a 5-6 week process it's a 5-6 month process people. I'm I the only one who can see that what is this the twilight zone, nobody cares about putting a down payment on a item and not seeing it for 5-6 months! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I guess it's because half of your cars are on jack stands, production time is too long 5-6 weeks would be more reasonable.
Why would a company say 5-6 month for a production for a part that they'll have a design for sounds like there gonna file bankruptcy within that time.

Wake up people!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts