The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo x turbo install now updated with 2.3 stroker build

dsmless

Heres something I have been trying to do for some time now. Finally have some home time from work and a nice garage to do all my welding in. I am following this build, justt with some minor changes. click
Using this new cast steel filler rod called ezweld, worked good so far. Will heat the welds red hot and beat on them with a hammer to see if they hold.

Last edited:

dsmless

Sorry about the crappy iphone pics

Heres how it looks with the evo x turbo installed on a spare motor I have wheeling around

Close up of these welds, hope they hold as these guys really praise there product. Still have to fill in the voids and port match it.

dsmless

Heres how the O2 housing sits, will have to reroute or make a custom one. Goal is to clear everything just like a stock O2/down pipe

GSTwithPSI

I can appreciate the work you're putting in. Is this just a personal goal for you? Just trying to figure out why you would go through all the hassle to install a turbo that flows less than a big 16G? I'm not knocking you, just curious. Maybe there are benefits to this that I'm missing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

BENE38A

I guess it is just one of those things that only you need to justify, looks like a fun project to take on.

Last edited:

desant78

This is great!! I was(am) going to do the very same thing! The e3 16g we use is old, this manifold opens up the possibilities to modern twin scroll turbos. I've wonder how a twin scroll 20g would perform, keep us posted!

Last edited:

dsmless

Yeah I was waiting for 16 g comment. The only reason im doing this is that the turbo setup was free, 15xxx mile evo x turbo. Im running a 3071r on my gay and the street performance thru the auto is less than stellar. If this works out good then I can get a billet turbo upgrade from turbolab for 800 so still not breaking the bank. And be twinscroll so still great spool.

dsmless

My good friend has a tuner shop here in town, and often go on final test rides. For street you cant beat the twin scroll response from these evo 8/9/10. I too was looking into a billet 20g upgrade as there 450 bucks from turbolab.

cheekychimp

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I can appreciate the work you're putting in. Is this just a personal goal for you? Just trying to figure out why you would go through all the hassle to install a turbo that flows less than a big 16G? I'm not knocking you, just curious. Maybe there are benefits to this that I'm missing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I really think it depends on your goals. You are right that this is a lot of work to essentially build a 16g powered car. However if you are willing to write that work/cost off and are happy in the 300-350 horsepower range of say a spirited daily driver then it nets serious benefits. With 'regular' 16g turbos getting both expensive and difficult to come by, this option opens the floodgates to a plethora of low mileage 'evo' turbos discarded by evo owners looking to upgrade and as someone mentioned whilst the flow of these turbos isn't massive, the possibility of twin scroll faster spooling turbos in the 16g power range is appealing to some.

I've got a fair sized collection of 16g, 18g and 20g turbos I picked up at good prices by being patient. But if I wasn't in that position, I think I'd seriously consider going this route for the daily. In addition whilst I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, someone on dsmtuners did this a while back and bought an 18g wheel rebuild kit for a twin scroll turbo and said it was the ultimate sub 400 horsepower turbo, power and torque everywhere in every gear. Maybe slightly exaggerated but again if you are happy in that 300-350 horsepower range I think the effort will pay the OP dividends. I'm certainly interested to hear about what he thinks about the finished results.

dsmless

Heres were I got the idea

click

Paul, you have a unfair advantage to us all being in HK

Jesus_Negros

These bolt to the 6g72 manifolds?

manikbastrd

Negative T_Negro. The 6g72 uses a TD04 flange. Three bolt if I remember correctly.

cheekychimp

Quoting dsmless:
Heres were I got the idea

click

Paul, you have a unfair advantage to us all being in HK

Yep that's the thread I saw before too. You have an unfair advantage being an airplane mechanic. When are you guys coming back? Next time we NEED to go somewhere more exciting than that airport bar. Damn we were the only ones there apart from the geriatic dance troupe in the park outside.

dsmless

No advantage here. Never have time to do anything cool with the car. And dont have cool jdm disposal yards at my town. Yeah will def go someplace better next time, no word when but know for sure it will be soon. We went to beijing from there for the aviation nbaa. Needless to say it was not fun at all. Whens your next trip west?

dsmless

Updating this a little. Finally have been home long enough to make some progress on this.

A couple intake and charge piping

dsmless

As it sits installed, made a heat sheild for the O2 out of some sheet stainless and used the stock 1g manifold heat sheild.

Last edited:

dsmless

Still need to install radiator, oil change and clean up before I can run it. Hoping its a fun setup for street. Overall I have about 20 hours into this. Not all at once as everytime I get back home I clean and organize my work area.

fuel

Another option is to make a half inch or so thick adapter plate between the 4G63 flange and 4B11 flange so you can just bolt the whole manifold on complete. It just means shortening some manifold studs on the head and running two gaskets but it could still work out easier and more reliable than welding and trying to fill in blanks and port match what you have.

Is it just the USDM Evo X turbos that are crap? I was under the impression the regular (ie JDM/Aus/Euro/NZ etc) Evo X turbos were good.

dsmless

I could not say for sure if the x turbos are crap, will find out. I did think about the adapter plate but as it sits theres about 1/2" clearance from turbo to radiator so you would have to run a slimmer radiator. For me thats a no no. I will have to figure something out when I make a tube header and run this 20g billet variant in TS form

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned