The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECMLink in Galant VR4

dillon233

Hello, I own a 91 Galant VR4 that was prevoiusly running with an unknown modded chip. I got ecmlink v3 from a friend that is installed in another ecu. That ecu says converted to awd on it. The only issue is the stock ecu and the new ecu look different (internally and different mounting points outside). I am worried about my all wheel steering (or other galant specific features) being messed up with another ecu. Should I try to plug it in and see if it works or is there a way to switch the chips between the ecus? Thanks so much in advance. I can't wait to be running ecmlink!

-Dillon

manikbastrd

Pictures would be really helpful. If the ECU from the other car has a purple chip in it, that is ECMLink V3, and you can pull the similar looking chip from your original ECU and replace it. Should all be fine. If you had some other kind of aftermarket EEPROM/EPROM chip then yours should already be set up to receive the Link chip. Please post pictures before doing this though. I would not want to find out you ripped out the wrong chip and ruined one or both of your ECUs.

EHmotorsports

I wonder if he has a dsm case. swap the internals to the gvr4 specific case and run it.

strokin4dr

Post a pic.
As long as it is a 1g ecu that you have (and not a 2g), you can swap the case to the one from your vr4 and it will bolt right up. I have a 1g dsm ecu with ecmlink in my car. Just swapped the cases to get everything to bolt in like factory. Good luck!
-Ryan

ade

ecu should look like so
IMG_20130122_201739.jpg

CutlassJim

And to answer your question the rear steering system isn't connected to the ECU in any way. Nor any other "specific" feature. These cars were built back in the good ol days where the ECU only controlled the engine. Hence ECU or engine control unit.

dillon233

Thanks guys, what I had was a 1g non-socketed ecu with the aftermarket socketed chip. My gvr4 is socketed, so I just pulled the ecmlink chip and added it to my ecu. Now I just have to learn how to tune it. Hahaha.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned