The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick question about Evo 1-3 intercooler

GSTwithPSI

Can someone tell me if the inlet and outlet on the Evo 1-3 intercooler the same size as the stock USDM intercooler pipes? Thanks!

7e60c

MellowVR4

I would say maybe a 2" or a 2 1/4". no bigger then that.

brisvr4

If you are asking about the cooler pictured it is not an Evo cooler. From the pic it's hard to tell if it is a stock Jdm cooler or an RS unit.

89Patches

Nope it's not the same size. I just installed that intercooler and the outlets are bigger then the USDM piping.

I believe it's 2" diameter IRC.

brisvr4

I've got an RS cooler sitting on a shelf at home. I'll measure the pipe sizes tonight.

fuel

Evolution VR-4 cooler is longer than standard regular JDM cooler. The piping is indeed 2" and the Evolution VR-4 has larger piping to suit.

Don't confuse an RS cooler for an Evolution VR-4 cooler as any RS before August 1990 will have the same cooler as the 'regular' JDM VR-4! Only the Evolution VR-4 has the larger cooler, which is what RS's are from August 1990 til May 1992.

brisvr4

Didn't realise about the pre facelift cooler size.
The one above is the later version as per what I have on my shelf.
Std Jdm coolers don't have the pressed grooves in the end tanks.
The end tanks are also a slightly different shape if I recall.

fuel

even facelift JDM but non-Evolution VR-4s still have the standard intercooler which measures 205 x 420 x 65 mm. Only the Evolution (which includes RS from August 1990 onwards) has the larger 205 x 470 x 65 mm intercooler with larger piping.

Size comparison of the Evolution VR-4 intercooler and the regular JDM non-Evolution VR-4 intercooler:

ic11diff.jpg

ic12diff.jpg

And this is the complete set up - you can probably spot the small difference in pipe diameter. In CAPS/ASA the part number for each pipe/hose is different for Evolution and non-Evolution, including the throttle-body elbow.

1021379_600.jpg

coyotes

What is your FMIC plan anyway brett, something stock? I figured you would do an ETS kit or similar.

GSTwithPSI

ETS kit? Yeah, brah, if you're buying I'll definitely go that route. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'm currently on a pretty tight budget, and there are zero intercooler kits that fit that bill. I picked up an Evo 8 core, but decided against using it. Then, I picked up the core pictured above in hopes that it would be a better fit under the assumption that the inlet/outlet would match up to the stock piping, but it seems that isn't the case. So, now I'm still at square one. The IC is really the last big item I have to source, and it's also what's now holding up my build. I'm considering a few options, including doing something like Tom did with his car. Also on the lookout for a good deal here, on CL and on T00ners. Something typically pops up eventually...

coyotes

I still have my big ass FMIC for sale if you want it. It's an unknown brand though. What about those cxracing intercoolers, not your style?

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Then, I picked up the core pictured above in hopes that it would be a better fit under the assumption that the inlet/outlet would match up to the stock piping, but it seems that isn't the case.

Did you get the standard JDM intercooler? All you need to fit it to the factory piping is the single JDM hose piece that goes from the pipe through the core support to the IC inlet. For the IC outlet to the lower intercooler pipe you can use a stock up-and-over-the-manifold IC hose which I'm sure you could source here pretty easily. Just gotta find that one JDM hose. Worked great for 503.

transparentdsm

couldn't you get reducing couplers and a piece of pipe to match up t the stock piping?? come on brett get a little creative and make something work. on 1375 i had a intercooler a little smaller then the one now on 138 now and it had reducing couplers on the end tanks and a piece of pipe to fit the stock soft piping.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Then, I picked up the core pictured above in hopes that it would be a better fit under the assumption that the inlet/outlet would match up to the stock piping, but it seems that isn't the case.

Did you get the standard JDM intercooler? All you need to fit it to the factory piping is the single JDM hose piece that goes from the pipe through the core support to the IC inlet. For the IC outlet to the lower intercooler pipe you can use a stock up-and-over-the-manifold IC hose which I'm sure you could source here pretty easily. Just gotta find that one JDM hose. Worked great for 503.

From the info posted, the core I have appears to be the Evolution VR-4 intercooler, which has a 2" inlet/outlet. I appreciate you posting up the pictures of the install on 503. That gives me a good idea of how this core will fit. I think I'll purchase a few couplers to reduce the piping size back to stock in order to utilize the majority of the OEM piping. The core is coming from Japan, so it may be a minute before it gets here. I'll just need to wait until I have it on the car, so I can mock it up and see what type of couplers I need. Thanks to everyone for all the input. It's greatly appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts