The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RS parts

G

Staff member
Question, do I want a rs rear end? Is their any benefit?

transparentdsm

in comparison to what? a stock usdm bumper? the bumper support is way lighter with almost no metal reinforcement, making it less safe. i do think it looks a lot better then the usdm ones though. personally i prefer my RS bumper to the usdm one.

fuel

^^ maybe he's talking about the rear diff when referring to the rear end?

Also G you need to be specific about the 'RS' you're talking about as there isn't just one particular model 'RS' and that's it. As I've said time and time again, RS and Evolution spec keeps getting confused with people referring to Evolution specific parts as RS parts when the reality is most RS models carry the same parts as the non-RS models.

If you are talking rear diffs, let's break it down this way - RS can be 4WS (E39A) or non-4WS (E38A).

- E38A models before October 1989 build date will carry the 3.545 rear axle ratio 1-way plate type/mechanical LSD along with three bolt axle flanges while October 1989 onwards will be 3.909 ratio with four bolt flanges and a 1.5-way LSD.

- E39A models before August 1990 build date will carry the 3.545 rear axle ratio viscous LSD and three bolt axle flanges while August 1990 onwards has the same viscous LSD but now with 3.909 ratio and four bolt flanges.

Evolution model Galant VR-4s (ie they are ALL August 1990 onwards build with 5 speed manual gearbox) will carry the 3.909 four bolt rear end with the only difference is the E38A RS Evolution will have the 1.5-way plate LSD while the E39A Evolution/RS Evolution (with 4WS) will have the viscous LSD.

So really, an "RS" diff can be any of four different combinations and not one particular type.

Part numbers from CAPS/ASA for further reference if needed:

MB393808 3 bolt axle flange
MB569618 4 bolt axle flange

MB393069 1 way plate LSD
MB664374 1.5 way plate LSD
MB664107 viscous LSD

If of course you are talking about the rear bumper, then the RS rear bumper is no different from any other JDM VR-4 rear bumper, or any JDM 6G Galant with the full plastic bumper for that matter (bumper cover of course, the frame support differs between 2WD/4WD).

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Fuel,
Yes i was referring to the diff. So which one is the best? The 1.5 way? And what code would be on the back of the diff?

fuel

yeah 1.5-way would be best as it partially locks on de-acceleration too. However it only comes 3.909 so if you want it to work with your USDM 3.545 rear you'll need to swap it onto your existing crown wheel and pinion. Your existing non-LSD inner CVs should work too however best to swap to 4-bolt. Just a note that inner CVs for the viscous LSD will not work for the plate type LSDs.

No idea what the code would be, but from memory there is often a sticker with both the ratio and if it's LSD or not.

fuel

yeah my sticker says '3.909 viscous LSD' but unsure what the code is off hand.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts