The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2G MAF on GVR4 - what else is needed?

crazydriver81

Saying hi to you GVR4 Pro's.

As I am new to the whole GVR4 topic, I'd like to ask for some details regarding the MAF sensor. I have read some info about "how to" install a 2g MAF on vfaq and that the 2g MAF is better, because it has a bigger diameter and flows more air.

There are also adapter harnesses available on here, so it seems this is a common mod?

Can someone please tell me (or point me to the respective thread as I haven't found it) what else is necessary to run a 2g MAF in a GVR4? Is it a job of replacing one MAF for another or is there some adjusting with an AFC necessary for the unmodified stock engine?

Further, is this a worthwile mod when considering a 16G turbo and an improved fuel supply at a later stage?

Thanks so much for shed some light on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

coyotes

You can run one bit you need larger injectors to compensate. I researched this recently and it doesn't seem to be worth it until you have a way to give it all a proper tune.

gvr4ever

Yes, it is a worth while mod as the stock unit is rather limited on how much air it can count. The 2G will allow you to run more boost. As for tuning. Not sure. I used this click , but I haven't seen him active on here for a really long time. This might be a solution. click

If you haven't done it yet, I'd install a FMIC first. In fact, I'd do that before turbo and MAF upgrades, or even turning up the boost. If the car is stock or near stock, FMIC and exhaust should be done before you turn up your boost. You can get power by just turning up the boost, but you will hate the heat soak.

crazydriver81

Thanks for the clear replies. Of course FMIC and exhaust are the point to start with.

I am just in a process to convert my 4G67 N/A to a 4G63T - and the question is, if I should source a GVR4 MAF or if it's wise to choose the 2g MAF instead. I don't want to go down the big hp numbers road, so the GVR4 stock MAF will be my way to go then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

Lots of us old guys had this and along with 550cc injectors and an afc with a keydiver chip and worked but compared to whats out there now we were banging two rocks together trying to make fire. Jeff stopped making chips years back and the sell of 2nd gen meter died off quickly. You could get the DSM link setup but a V3 is going to be around 600 or you can pick up a pro translator for 400 or used I've seen them lately around 200.

click me and read

Another option is getting an evo 8 ecu and jumper harness but I think the pro set-up would do you fine and has the ability to grow as the car does and is plug and play, no laptop setting stuff constantly just put in a target a/f ratio and it just does it. Idles smooth, no dying at red lights or stop signs and just works. I had one of these for mine but ended up getting 2 different megasquirt units and then later got a V3 but when and if I ever get it running I'll probably go with the Haltech. Buddy just put one in his Honda and has cool features like multiple speed sensors so it can control boost and timing with tire spin, can run a E85 sensor so it constantly tunes it on the octane coursing through the fuel system, and has plugs so a racepack dash just plugs in and works etc etc plus it will fit into any car.

GVR4kauai

I'm running a 2g maf and fic 550's along with fully ported 2g mani and tubrine housing for the 14b and a nice fmic setup. I don't have a safc2 yet but plan to get to add in. But so far it runs amazing and makes great power. It takes a bit to get a good idle it has to warm up first, then it idles perfect and runs really really good! Ran 13.7@101 like this!! Also going to add a 255 and afpr and bump pressure to 43.5 instead of 37, see how that helps things!! I do plan to either get a safc2 or just get ecmlink for it. I have link for my 2g eclipse which is down so maybe with a gvr4 link cable and a socket job maybe my other chip will work idk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tektic

I can burn you a chip if you really want.. The mods to stock dsm code are widely documented. to change from a 1g to a 2g maf is easy and to changing injector size is even easier.

GVR4kauai

Not yet have only ran the car 2 times so far I'll have my mtx-l in for this years session starting in July. And I plan to have ecmlink soon also! But if you could hook up a chip for the mean time bro that would be amazing!

Last edited:

tektic

is ecu socketed? I can do that too but dont realy have the time.
pm me just pay for chip and shipping probably like $15 total.. better than running the wrong code.

changing your fuel pressure is not going to help anything!

Last edited:

GVR4kauai

I read another guy on here had good luck running a 2g maf and 550's and 43psi fuel pressure. He mentioned his fuel trims being like perfect, so just thought id try it out lol! Ya bro sick I appreciate it very much! It's not socketed but honestly havnt even pulled the ecu out yet! I can get it socketed by ecmlink guys I don't want to put you out bro! You need any more info about my setup to make a chip? Again thx for helping me bro! I could also do the socket job if you have one I can get? Let me know thx again bro!

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

Run a chip, period! (And save up for a real tuning solution if you're serious.)

There's no way to compensate for the electrical differences of the MAF's by using bigger injectors and raising fuel pressure. That's just not gonna happen. This is hardware we're using and not a religion.
Fix it or it stays broken.

Tektic is offering you a chip for $15 FFS! You cannot get correct stuff for cheaper than that.
Please for your own sake.

GVR4kauai

Dude chill I've been racing dsm's for 16 years I know what I'm doing guy!! lol and the car runs cherry the way it is and hasn't given me one single issue! So id have to disagree with your it just won't work attitude lol! It works damn good guy 13.7@101 almost stock car!! Didn't even sputter help 17psi all the way to redline up top!! And yes of course I want a chip or ecmlink for it so I can actually tune and stuff! Look how the car is untuned! Give me some time and a few good pulls and I bet I hit 12's like nothing hahahaha!! I have link for my 2g by the way! And it's been proven over and over on here that this combo is a win win for the gvr4's. Why do you think I did it, I read it all on this site!

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

Ok sorry for my rant but i still withhold that it's just bandaid.
Can you post a logfile for this? CSV format. Wideband AFR included.
Seen so many of these voodoo solutions in the Volvo scene in the past 20 years. Never thought i would see it in the DSM or GVR4 community considering the level of knowledge we have.

Edit: Since the OP is considering a bigger MAF on his GVR4 i would say go with a #482 MAF from the start. It's a bolt-on affair on the GVR4. The 2G MAF is not.
The #482 MAF needs a patch harness which is available here on the forums. The #482 is available for cheap over here in europe since the OP is located in Germany.
Total sum for a #482 MAF setup that can take 500awhp would be around $200 max. Including everything needed:
GVR4 to 3G MAF patch cable. (iceman provides these, awesome quality)
#482 MAF.
Chip. (From Tektic?)
2G air filter.

Can't beat that setup when under 500awhp. Perfect for a 255 pump and a 16G on full boost.

Last edited:

GVR4kauai

No way to log yet and my wideband is in my eclipse at the moment, but will be in the gvr4 this week. I really just got the car found it abandon for 7-8 years in this guys yard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and because of my work Injury havnt been able to do much to it. I'm trying though, as far as I know its the only one left In Hawaii it was said that there was another white one but I heard it got crushed! So far I've collected the 2g maf and 550's of course (from old setup), custom fmic setup using a vibriant ic core and hks ssqv (recirced), evo8 struts all 4 with swift lowering springs, ssr 17" wheels with hankooks, 5lug swap, dba kangaroo paw rotors and hawk pads all around, 4bolt rear, prothane motor mount, complete timing job, fp mani, ss o2 housing with external dump, 3" exh, emissions delete, ngk br7's and magnacor wires, walbro 255hp, fuel lab afpr, prosport boost gauge and my innovate mtx-l, plan to make a catch can setup or get a calan can, plan to do the drive shaft rebuild from jnz and bsek, full shifter rebuild incar and under hood, all new lubricants for everything, and soon ecmlink I hope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really just took it out to see what base times I could get to start with. My first pass was 14.6@93 and next time was 13.7@101 cutting 1.8 60' so with the little I've done and the condition of the car that's pretty damn good to start with lol! Had all the honda guys scratching there heads even came up and asked what the heck I did to get it to 13's already lol! I was like started with a bad ass car and drove it like it liked hahaha! Love my gvr4! I went from street class to sports compact just like that lol!!

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

Sound like you have a solid base there. Once you get the WBo2 in there you will know what to fix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Best motorsport accesory ever invented.
I feel with you on the work injury. Ripped my left knee quad tendon about 2 years ago. So i had much time on my hands to perfect some ECU code.

Before going to ECMlink try throwing a chip in there so you have a good benchmark on how much you can improve with Link.
Do you have a chip burner at hand?

GVR4kauai

I don't have any way to burn wish I did though!! I'm down to get a chip from tektic for starters for sure!! I'm not as deep as id like to be in coding but I want to learn more!!

Last edited:

crazydriver81

Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:

Edit: Since the OP is considering a bigger MAF on his GVR4 i would say go with a #482 MAF from the start. It's a bolt-on affair on the GVR4. The 2G MAF is not.
The #482 MAF needs a patch harness which is available here on the forums. The #482 is available for cheap over here in europe since the OP is located in Germany.
Total sum for a #482 MAF setup that can take 500awhp would be around $200 max. Including everything needed:
GVR4 to 3G MAF patch cable. (iceman provides these, awesome quality)
#482 MAF.
Chip. (From Tektic?)
2G air filter.

Can't beat that setup when under 500awhp. Perfect for a 255 pump and a 16G on full boost.

Now it is getting interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The #482 MAF should be available in Europe and I understand it is the so called "3G" type. Correct? Does anyone know, on which cars this part came stock in Europe?

And where to get a chip for the ECU for following mods: 3G MAF and 560cc Evo injectors (and 16G Turbo)?

swe_gvr4_1991

The #482 is available on many newer big engine Mitsubishis like the Montero (Pajero), Galant V6, Etc. Numbers: E5T08071 and MD336482.

I can source those over here in Sweden easily.
If Tectic cannot help you with a chip, I can.
Then all you need is a way to connect the MAF to your car. Easiest way is using a patch harness. But if you have a junkyard near you with newer Mitsubishis you may get the connector and then splice into the stock MAF harness.
I bought my MAF harness from iceman on this forum and used it for a few years. Great piece.
Today i run Speed Density so i have it saved for a rainy day.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned