The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bad clunk while going straight

Okay just last night my car started a bad clunk.
Im waiting on my new struts to get here so I would
Rather fix this at the same time. Its coming from the front
Passenger side, mainly from 1-15mph, but its there 15+mph
Going straight. Also while turning left it gets worse. But if I turn
Right little to no noise. Nothing in reverse. Any thoughts?
I was thinking wheel bearing but also axel?

coyotes

does it happen when you go over bumps or just while driving normal? is there any sort of pattern to the clunking sound?

LIV4PSI

Wheel bearings are easy to diagnose. Jack the car up and grab the tire and shake. If it moves, you need a wheel bearing.

Then grab ahold of your axle and see if it has any slop as well.

Well my struts are currently gone, when I hit bumps that's
What you hear. As for a pattern its just a rotation clunk while
Going forward and turning left. While in the forward motion
It clunks.

manikbastrd

Not to sound like an ass, but loose wheel check is a must in this situation. Also check the calipers for tightness.

coyotes

sounds like wheel bearing. you should hear a constant rrrRrrrRrrRrr as you are driving though if it is bad. maybe one of your CV axles is going out, you don't hear any sort of clicking though on turns?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting TylerFaulkner:
Okay I raised the car, when I grab the top and bottom
Of the tire it shakes. Not the left and right side of the tire

Grab the tire at 10 with your left hand, 4-5 with your right. Now shake along that line between the two hands.

If you can get someone to do this for you, while the car is "properly and safely" supported you can look at your lower ball joint.

You can sometimes only see happen at certain angles, each car can be different, but the principles remain the same.

If you have a loose wheel bearing, you should see and feel the rotor move in relation to the caliper bracket, in/out.

If you suspect an outer tie rod and can put a pair of channel locks across the joint (helper does this), nut to base of balljoint compression, and the looseness goes away, then you have one potential culprit. If it is now better, but still some looseness detected, keep poking around.

You can also pull down and hold on the outer tie rod end, and if play gets tighter or goes away, that is a good indicator of play there.

If no change, and you pull down hard on the inner tie rod across the booted section, and play goes away, there is a culprit inside that boot.

Few things to try. Works a charm for us, with these simple techniques. Two people is always best when you unsure of how to do it all by yourself or with limited tooling.

Last edited:
Yes the clunk happens more when going straight and turning
Left. But when I turn right goes away.

@ flying eagle thank you I will try all of those tomorrow. I did
Pick up a wheel bearing today just in case and was only
$30. Should I not drive it untill I figure everything out.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Sooner you find out what is loose, the sooner the car gets back into the "safe" category.

If you have trouble finding it, take it to a reputable mechanic and see what they say.

Paying a decent inspection fee and having them show you the loose components and why, is worth it's weight in gold.

I do this for customers all the time, all they have to do is ask. You just hope they stick around for the repair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tektic

Drive it till the wheel falls off. Then fix where it breaks.

But seriously I find that more often than not clunks in front end to be the strut tower mount to be worn out. If you grab the spring from the corner with the noise and give it a good pull it shouldn't clunk. Check the other side to compare. Check the tirods and ball joints while your at it. Also make sure the bolts on the strut and control arm are all tight enough. There isn't much up there.

It may not be suspension related. Do you feel it in the wheel or just hear it? It could be something totally unrelated. your battery tied down properly.

I change my upper strut mounts whenever I do my struts no matter what car I'm doing.

ade

lol not safe, safe. get some one to look at, then fix the issue, look yourself and fix it. 804, 408. spooky.

fix the struts replace the ball-joints, tie-rods & ends, wheel bearings & seals, control arm bushings, get your wheels balanced and get an alignment. new axles would not hurt either. This can be done all at once, highly recommended for those with crappy roads + u only pay for one alignment. if the roads you drive on are in great condition, replacing each part one at a time might work for ya. "DO NOT" do the one at a time trick then drive everyday on shitty roads, you will end up where you started. Either way its gonna cost a few bills, so spread you cheeks and lift your sac.

ade

nice did u replace the bearing while it was still on the car or did ya take the whole assembly off?

the struts are not that bad, three 14mm (i think) nuts up top, two 17mm (i think) at the base. use lots of pb blaster (i know). there should be one 10 or 12mm bolt holding the abs wire to the strut body. a lil wiggle and push and its out. then a spring compressor, remember how it all came apart cause its gotta go back together. And please be carefull.

I did the wheel bearing with no press and the hub still
Connected to both the tie rod and ball joint. Went smooth
I didn't rush it. Finished the struts. Rides like a dream :)

strokin4dr

What tool did you use to replace the bearings?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts