The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Grease and Wax remover alternatives for prepping parts before painting?

Vr4junkie

So i've gone to all my auto parts stores and none seem to cary a dedicated grease/wax remover.

Closest thing is this are theses fine for prepping?

Racah15

Do you not have any automotive paint supply shops around your area?
I don't know if they would work the best.

If you don't have any auto paint supply shops (there has to be, they might just be hidden), You can always go to a mom and pop paint shop (big corporate ones won't ablige), and ask to purchase some wax/grease remover.

I wouldn't settle on something like that. Because if it doesn't work well, you will be regretting it 150% after you see the results. Also ask for a tack cloth if you don't have those yet.

89Mirageman

I'm sure either of those would be fine to use. But like the others mentioned, a dedicated place that sells autobody supplies will be your best bet.

VR6Eater

If what the difference is between certain brands of pre-paint cleaners. Search for MSDS sheets online. They are readily available. A lot of cheap ones are mostly xylene. As long as it does not leave a residue you should be ok.

paul j

NAPA sells a degreasing compound. A auto paint store sold me PrepAll when I was buying paint and said it was just as good as the more expensive stuff. Both work well but Simple Green works very well on cleaning engine parts also but I have not painted anything after immediately using it.

boostedinaz

We use 3939S from Dupont at the shop. It works really well but can be expensive.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned