The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Regular Galant engine versus VR4 and more..........

gregates

These are probably a stupid Newbie questions. So I apologize ahead of time.

I am the original owner of a 1991 Galant with 150k actual miles (BUT not a VR4). Back then, I was also the proud owner of a first year 3000GT VR4 as well. So I experienced the VR4 steering and handling in that vehicle.

My Questions:

(1) Can the "regular Galant engine be replaced with the VR4 engine.
(2) If it can't be replaced, can the original engine be upgraded and who can do that on the west coast.
(3) Can the VR4 AWD and undercarriage be replaced into my vehicle. (steering etc)
(4) Can the VR4 engine be retrofitted with the automatic transmission?
(5) Please feel free to give me advise pertaining to my thoughts/requests (above)? Maybe my "original" engine could be upgraded? etc etc

You may say, why not find a VR4? This vehicle is very important and personal. My late wife and I were original owners. Patti died in 2008 after 3 and a half years of suffering with Inflammatory Breast Cancer. She drove it from 1991 to 2007. So the vehicle is really important to our family.

We can't afford any of this right now, as our family has gone through much hardship and financial tragedy (my youngest son is in treatment for a rare form of Leukemia) and we lost everything financially. BUT just maybe someday we will hit the lottery LOL. I just want to be able to dream!

Thank you so very much.

Warmest regards

Greg Gates
In Oregon

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

I'm sure some of the more experianced members will chime in but I'll try to answer a few of your questions

1: yes the vr4 engine can be swapped in, it just requires some minor wiring additions. There is very little difference between the vr4 engine and a turbo eclipse/talon/laser of that era so sourcing a motor should be easy.
2: Yeah, it can be upgraded but if you're not looking for huge numbers, a used doner would be cheaper since you're going to be on a budget
3: I actually have no idea what would be involved in converting a fwd to awd but I do know that the t/e/l rear subframes are the same as the vr4 minus the rear steering. Speaking of rws, sourcing the lines that run from front to back will be next to impossible, many here delete the rws because of leaking lines.
4: Automatic swaps are doable and several members have done it, it just requires some more wiring. If you do a search for auto conversions you will find a lot of info about them.
5: My advice would be to do a TON of research on here and once you feel like you have a plan pick up a complete T/E/L to source your parts from. This will male it a whole lot easier.

When using the search function on here add a + infront of the words you're searching for and i find adding -re: helps reduce a lot of repeat results.

Sorry to hear about your hardships, cancer is a bitch, and I wish your son the best of luck with his battles.

LIV4PSI

I think the floor and gas tanks are different between FWD and AWD. So swapping it to AWD, or adding 4WS isn't really feasible

And I think his Galant is already an automatic, and he is asking if a VR4 engine will bolt up to it. Answer is yes

Last edited:

BpuVR4

very sorry to hear about your family...hope the best for your son.

would you be happy w a fwd 4g63 auto in your Galant?

prove_it

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I think the floor and gas tanks are different between FWD and AWD. So swapping it to AWD, or adding 4WS isn't really feasible

And I think his Galant is already an automatic, and he is asking if a VR4 engine will bolt up to it. Answer is yes

FWD to AWD is impossible without 100 hours+ of chassis fabrication and modification. NOT worth the effort. FWD Galants have a solid beam type rear suspension. Essentially everything in front of the driver on a FWD is the same as an AWD, but behind the driver it's a whole other car.

TO the OP, your best bet will be to swap a running turbo 4G63 in and wire in the knock sensor. You'll need the turbo ecm as well. The chassis is the same in front of the driver so any front mount kit will work. There is a difference in the lower subframe as the AWD has two rear cross beams where the FWD has only one center beam. You can use any turbo downpipe, but you'll have to have a custom exhaust built after that. You'll need to swap the fuel pump out with a stock turbo pump, or better would be the Walbro 190 pump.

I would also watch out for some leather vr-4 seats. They bolt right in and feel so much better than the cloth seats.

Hope that gets you started.

EHmotorsports

If you wanted to stop by the shop some time we can shoot the breeze and get a dream list going for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am about 30 min away from you.

donkeylips

As was stated, I'm pretty sure the 6g FWD Galants can't feasibly be swapped to AWD. I know that's always been the consensus with the 1g DSM, which pretty much has the same chassis. This is unlike the FWD 2g DSM and 4g Mirage/Lancer which do seem to be mostly setup the same as their AWD counterparts.

I would keep the car original and just restore it. But if you want to modify it, I would find a rotted out GVR4 or something. Swap everything but the AWD stuff. It will all bolt right up.

maroonmetallic

Before anyone says "all it needs is a simple rewire for adding a knock sensor", we need to confirm your engine.

Front wheel drive Galants came with either a 2.0L SOHC or DOHC. If your car is already DOHC, it IS a "simple rewire".
If it is not, you will likely need a dash harness, gauge cluster, & engine harness as well as the engine.
(SOHC to DOHC also requires the injector relay & MPI relay besides stuff bolted to the engine that is DOHC specific.)
The ECU & a new fuel pump & pressure regulator should also be changed to support boost.

Early 90s Mitsu auto trans weren't the strongest, so if it IS SOHC, Id suggest an automatic trans from a turbo DSM, which would also require the TCM if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about the troubles your family has encountered.

-Shawn

Last edited:

donkeylips

Yes, I was going to mention that the FWD turbo DSM trans may be a better choice, but I don't know too much about the FWD autos.

gregates

Thank you Evan! I will stop out to your shop sometime to chat. I appreciate the invitation. I "liked" your FaceBook page just now (left you a message). Feel free to 'friend" me on my FB page (under "gregates"). I make a gtreat FB friend as I do not post very much. Mainly use it to update folks on my youngest son Devin's fight with his rare form of Leukemia. He is really doing great after a long battle being diagnosed in 2010 justt one month after truning 20 and a little over 2 years after losing his mom (my wife Patti).

Thanks again for the kindness. Expressions like your reply here, mean so very much versus the selfish days before learning what really matters in life!

Warmest regards,

gregates

To All who replied (above) here to my Newbie post,

thank you for the informative (and easy to understand replies! I have copied/pasted each one of them individually and added them to my external log (wish list) file I have made for my Galant.

I am getting the drift of what can and cannot be accomplished. Who needs AWD anyway.

And great recommendation on the seats. I am down to the springs (showing and sitting on) on my driver side original cloth seat. LOL

Also thanks for the34 kind words regarding my son's fight with Cancer. It is truly appreciated.

Thank you all again.

Warmest regards,

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Your questions have been answered but I'd just like to add that I wish the best for you and your family. It takes a strong type of man to go through that and still have a positive outlook on things.

prove_it

Yea, after reading about your son, it hit my heartstrings. Sounds like your doing a great job by your family. I does take more strength than anyone can imagine.

Welcome to the board. As I'm sure you noticed this is a community, not just a forum. Everyone here is friends and we will help each other out. The anything goes topics are a great place to BS and vent about life problems. Also, proper grammar is a must, as you can see. This is one of the best forums I've ever joined. You'll actually find many common members posting that don't even have any Galants.

This site has tons of valuable info about the dsm platform.
VFAQ, dsm information in a jiffy

Galants share most of the same parts. Also browse through the library link at the top of the page. The member rides section can also give you lots of inspiration to work with. Start with turbowop' car. Some may argue that is the pinnacle of care and love for the galant. (some) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I can get back to you quickly as I tend to watch the board all day long. I also have a good stock pile of parts too.

Forgot to mention that the VR4 came with two piston front brake calipers, where yours has only one piston. Swapping the two piston on is a great cheap brake upgrade. A must if you wanna go faster. I would add that to your list also. Your car is over 20 years old too, so don't forget maintenance. Ball joints, tie rods, bushings, they are all mostly worn out by now. I personally stick to OEM parts as the quality is a bit higher. Most common parts are still available from the dealer.

paul j

My welcome to you as well Greg. It is great what you are doing with your son and the car, should be quite a bonding experience. The cast of all the members on this site is awesome. Ask and they respond. Lovely, interesting, talented group of people.

gregates

To Members: <b>AnotherNewb, LIV4PSI, BpuVR4, prove_it, EHmotorsports, donkeylips, maroonmetallic, donkeylips, Turbro_Negro, prove_it, paul j</b>

Thanks to all of you (<b>above</b>) for your great suggestions and advice. I did not win the Powerball last night unfortunately.

“<b>EHmotorsports</b>” since you have a shop and are only a few miles away (how about that small world), I will stop out sometime when you are not too busy and start that “dream list”. They have a Powerball twice a week as well as two more Megamillions drawings per week. I will keep trying! LOL.

I have NEVER had a vehicle that actually meant something to me before. When there was money, I was lucky enough to purchase from my actual next store neighbor in beautiful Altoona, PA, one of the first 700 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4’s the first year they were brought in. I loved driving that AWD vehicle. What a car! We actually purchased the 1991 Galant from my neighbor as well (we were/are original owners). My wife Patti drove the Galant almost up until her death in 2008 after a terrible painful three and a half year battle with Inflammatory Breast Cancer.

Then after a family business failing in the recession 2007, losing our family home to foreclosure 2009, my son diagnosed with a rare deadly form of Leukemia Cancer in 2010, using 100% of our college funds and life savings 2006-2010, I being declared disabled hospitalized for a month with a diagnoses of insulin dependent diabetes and congestive heart disease 2011, wouldn’t you know it, in 2012, coming back from one of my son’s chemotherapy sessions, I ran the Galant out of oil, having to tow into a repair shop near my home. I had no idea the oil was low (my bad entirely).

I had ALWAYS taken care of my vehicles. How that happened, I will never know. But not having enough money to buy a new vehicle, the repair shop said he could buy and install a replacement engine for $2,000.00. Through the help of my friends and my church, I scrapped up the $2,000.00. He did the replacement in about 4 weeks while Devin and I begged rides. Then when it was completed, he needed an additional $800 more funds before releasing it (for “complications”). Her would not release it to me. Had to borrow from a relative. Unfortunately the replacement engine burns oil. I have to put a quart in every 1,000 miles. It also needs paint badly with some cracks in the paint. The driver's seat has tears in the fabric from my fat butt over the years (and you can see the springs). So the suggestion of the leather seats (above) sounds pretty good right now while presently sitting directly on the springs! LOL

But my Galant still has SO SO SO many fantastic pleasant memories for me and the two kids.

So my dream is to keep reading the all posts on this forum, keep looking at all the wonderful “restore” pictures on this forum, and who knows, maybe someday………………. We can all dream huh? I watch the TV show with Chip Foose on “Overhaulin”” and just dream dream dream dream away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---Rebuild the FWD suspension and rear wheel suspension
---Replace the exhaust system
---New wheels and breaks all around
---Replace the interior
---Add a GPS to that nice big spot where the old cassette/FM radio was (big hole indeed)
---Upgrade the stereo and put some bass into it LOL
---Forget about making it AWD after reading your educated/experienced posts
---Maybe, just maybe, replace/upgrade the engine to the VR4, but keeping the automatic for my old bones LOL
---Good paint job
---Add the fog lites like several of you guys have done. Looks cool and like having fog lites.

Thanks again guys for letting me “dream”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!……………..

On a serious note, if anyone wants to read about my son’s courageous fight with his rare form of Leukemia, you can read the “older” posts on my FaceBook page under “gregates”. Just scroll down and click on read older posts. I use that FB page to communicate his struggle with Cancer. He is doing so much better now than when he was diagnosed. Back in 2010, he was given a 50/50 chance of making it 6 months by his Oncologist. You can’t imagine the feeling of being told that, after just losing his mom a year and a half earlier. P{leae feel free to “friend” me on my FB page. I make a great FB Friend as I don’t bother and don’t post much LOL. Plus in our “Albums” you can see pictures of Devin and his mom.

Thanks again <b>AnotherNewb, LIV4PSI, BpuVR4, prove_it, EHmotorsports, donkeylips, maroonmetallic, donkeylips, Turbro_Negro, prove_it</b>, and <b>paul j</b>. Your responses above mean a lot to me.

Warmest regards with deep respect,

Greg Gates

PS: the Galant is our ONLY vehicle now. We owe it far more than it owes us!

prove_it

Man, hang in there. God sure is giving you a trial. I'm going to do what I can to source some parts for you. My heart goes out to you and your family. Put together a list of things you need and I can go through my stock pile of parts and see what I can get you. I'll cover shipping and don't worry about paying for anything. I hope that a few other members on here can rally up some stuff to get your project moving.

I know I got a pair of front dual piston calipers laying around that are in great shape. I can send you those once you PM me your address. So I can get you started there at least. I may know of some seats laying around that I might be able to get your way also. No promises though, but I'll see what I can do.

Hang in there and hold on to your faith. God is good.

EHmotorsports

just give me a call before you head over and i can make sure i am there:)no matter if im busy or not. but In between jobs I have no problem with working on the car. If we gather enough parts I can install them for ya no charge. as well as if we can find an engine to install.

Last edited:

gregates

Thank you all for your recommendations. Just got back from my son's chemotherapy session. Was surprised at all the great replies/feedback/posts, that occurred between early this morning and now.

Wow what a group!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I am not worthy LOL.

EHmotorsports (a contributing member here in this Galant VR4.org forum) apparently has a shop really close to me. After losing our home we lost having a garage to do any work, plus the Galant is our ONLY vehicle now.

So sometime in the next couple of weeks, I am going to stop out at EHmotorsports's shop, and show him what I have in my Galant. He has graciously offered to help me make out a "wish list". So watch this Thread/space, as I will answer the questions you guys have individually posted above (like what engine do we have right now in the vehicle? and could I use a/an "XXXXX"?? etc etc). I don't want to say I could use something, when I really can't.

But I also don't want to take advantage of you guys. You have been so helpful and gracious so far already! Life is too short. It is amazing how quick things that used to mater so much, now do not mater at all. Like going from a family home of several thousand sq ft to an apartment of 850 sq ft! As long as my son is improving each month with his fight of cancer, that is the priority!

Thanks again guys! Watch this thread.

Warmest regards

Greg

PS: here is EHmotorsports's Facebook page who has graciously volunteered to help this old fart!
EH Motorsports https://www.facebook.com/ehmotorsports?ref=profile

And please feel free to follow us on Facebook as to Devin's fight with cancer. Just scroll back to the older posts to see what a then 19 year old has gone through for three years. Puts all your troubles into perspective, like having something like 26 Lumbar punctures (spinal taps) since January 2011.
https://www.facebook.com/gregates

Fish

I've got a fwd 1g parts car that I could donate a few parts off of. It still has plenty of good stuff left on it so let me know what you need for your car.

Best of luck to you and your family.

cheekychimp

Greg,

I think when you have been through such a difficult ordeal it is always good to have a dream. Consequently if you really want a 2WD VR4 that's cool. I would say however that in my experience FWD cars making over 250 horsepower can be quite a handful to drive and exhibit lots of torque steer. As a result you might also want to consider simply upgrading your normally aspirated engine. There are parts around to increase the power output to anything from 145 - 200 horsepower. That's not amazing but in the lighter FWD car it can still make for quite a sporty ride. Don't forget the USDM VR4s left the factory with only just over 200 horsepower and they were quite a bit heavier than the FWD. The NA cars are also arguably easier to maintain and more reliable which might be a consideration (well until you win the lottery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif). A manual gearbox can also liberate a bit more power in a non-turbo car.

I wish you well whatever you decide and hope that I can also assist if you need anything.

Paul

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts