The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another battery bites the dust.

jnava

Staff member
As many of you know, the car was down for a significant part of the year. During that time, I kept the battery charged since I do have to keep the alarm up and running to deter those thieves. Well, it's no longer holding a charge. The really weird part is that its a 34dl duralast. Our cars use a a group 51 battery. I don't know wtf happenned, I don't recall buying a battery and vatozone confirmed that I didn't. Really suck ass but I will now have to fork over some cash for a regular sized battery or probably go slim.

MellowVR4

Mazda miata batteries are pretty small, Thats what I have.

IncorpoRatedX

i use a lawn mower battery in my wagon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

jnava

Staff member
Damn, now I want to know, what battery do you have if it isn't the stock one?

strokin4dr

I am currently using this in my vr4.
ODYSSEY PC680
I bought it almost 2 years ago for my mirage. Used it for about 2 months until the car went into hibernation mode and it had been sitting until about a month ago. So far its good. Even after sitting for a year it turned the vr4 engine over faster than the stock battery.
A lot of evo, honda and subaru guys use these.

Smaller than a honda or miata battery, and really packs a punch! Its a dry cell so you can mount it wherever and in any orientation.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

^^ Those are good. It's essentially a private label version of the Genesis G16EP by Enersys. There are a number of versions of that same battery. It is possible that battery could be found cheaper if you don't get the odyssey variant. Shipping does not look like it is included, but here are some examples: $96.50 and $100

I'm currently using a motorcycle battery, similar in size to the g16ep with a little less CCA's and reserve capacity. It is an off brand I bought it from Autozone for about $90 IIRC and then I put an NRG Cell terminal post kit on it. All of these will start your car everytime, no problem. (G16EP's have 480 CCA's, my off brand unit has like 400 or something in that neighborhood)

Doesn't store a bunch of juice though so if you need to power things off your car w/o the engine running, look elsewhere. They are easy to deep discharge.

GSX_TC

I've been using optima yellow tops in all my 4G63 powered vehicles for years, at first I tried the odyssey slim battery and it worked and cranked when I wanted it too while saving weight but that's all it can do, if I dare left my lights or stereo on while the engine was off for more then 5-10 minutes it killed it enough to where I would need a jump, so I quickly tossed out that thing and went with a trusty optima yellow top and also did the moroso battery relocation kit with matching box and never had a problem since.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Optima's used to be the best battery out there, bar none

... the one in my truck is over twenty years old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unfortunately, they moved their production facilities to the cheap seats and their entire product line is now shite, plain and simple.

I wouldn't recommend any of their products to anyone under any circumstances.

Dekka is now my preferred line of AGM batteries.

If you're in the business, they are quite cost effective, and they are every bit as good as optima;s used to be.

G

Staff member
Yeah optimas are junk. I prefer Varley (LiFePo4) and Ballistic. click or evo > click

jnava

Staff member
Thanks guys, I started to do some searching with the information many of you provided and all I can say is damn. There are some better choices and cheaper prices in consideration of the local stores and their prices. I'm now without a doubt, will get a slim battery. Hell, the Odyssey PC680 is $90. You can't beat those prices. Thanks, just need to figure how i'm going to mount ..lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned