The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Hello All!

Let me tell ya, I've been visiting this site for a long time. Even though I've never owned a Galant, I always got great tech information from this site and enjoyed seeing the time and effort so many folks have put into their cars. I'm just excited that I finally have something to share with everyone here! I've been wild about 4G63 powered cars since I first read about the Plymouth Laser RS in Car and Driver back in 1988. Some of you may have seen my cars before here and there, I currently have a 1991 Talon and 87 Grand National, but am most known for my old 1989 Mirage Turbo that I had for many years, which looked like a shrunk down/chopped up Galant hatchback to my eyes.

The Mirage tearing it up at Bradenton Motorsports Park in 2000
1_mirage_launch.jpg

My 1991 Talon
IMG_2373a.jpg

But this thread is about a car that I found locally, totally on a whim while searching craigslist. I wasn't looking for a Galant VR-4, but it was always a car that I appreciated and admired. Once I saw this particular one in person and the potential it had, I just had to fix it up and return it back to it's original glory.

First off, what I'll likely do with each build update is include a video update that tells the whole story. I'll be sprinkling in photos too, but I'd encourage you to check out the videos as I enjoy trying to make them fun and interesting. So with that said, here's the first video where I briefly cover the history of the Galant VR-4, how I found mine and what it looks like inside and out. Finally we'll take it for a spin on my special "rally stage" here in the hills of Tennessee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's the first video update:
Tom's Turbo Garage - 1991 Galant VR-4: Intro & Overview

Here are the original photos from the Craigslist post. I responded to the ad right away and was looking at it within the hour. Yes, it's a sickness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

The pics made it look somewhat nicer looking than it actually was, since the car had been sitting for some time. Here are a few shots that I took of it. The car was originally purchased in Bristol, TN and never ventured outside of the state. I bought the car from the original owners who shared many great stories about the car and watching their kids grow up in it.

IMG_6966.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6967.jpg

This car came with the EXTREMELY RARE "Aloha Interior Package" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
IMG_6968.jpg

Yeah man, dreamcatcher!
IMG_0649.jpg

A quick shot from the video of my off-road excursion.
IMG_6969.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

So the plan is to restore it inside and out, assess the mechanical condition, take care of any fixes needed and perform any required maintenance to make it roadworthy and reliable once again. Stay tuned as I take you through the whole process!

Thanks for reading,

-Tom

G

Staff member
Looks like a clean example to start with.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Good to have you here, Tom!

I love your videos! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Tom and Gail, Tom and Gail!

Sorry, fan boy from you know where. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

MellowVR4

Nice to have you part of the gvr4 world, Cant wait to see your upcoming videos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TurboTurtle

Damn man, i wish mine was that put together and clean when i bought it lol

Cant wait to see some progress!

the_underdog

Quoting G:
Looks like a clean example to start with.

Thank you and yes it is. I was skeptical with it being a Craigslist ad and all, but once I looked it over and met the owners, I knew it would make a great car once cleaned and fixed up!

the_underdog

Quoting toybreaker:
Good to have you here, Tom!

I love your videos! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you for the warm welcome and I'm glad you enjoy the videos! Lots more fun stuff coming soon!

the_underdog

Quoting FlyingEagle:
Tom and Gail, Tom and Gail!

Sorry, fan boy from you know where. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Oh man, that was waaaaay back in the day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good to hear from you again and I hope all is well!

the_underdog

Quoting MellowVR4:
Nice to have you part of the gvr4 world, Cant wait to see your upcoming videos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thank you and I appreciate that! I hope to share some good stuff with everyone soon!

the_underdog

Quoting 240essex:
Damn man, i wish mine was that put together and clean when i bought it lol

Cant wait to see some progress!

Thank you and I hear ya! I have considered buying a few GVR4s over the years, but there was always a couple big issues that scared me away. This one was too great to pass up!

bobdole

Looking forward to seeing you build up. Thanks for sharing it.

the_underdog

Thank you bobdole! I love your car and the energy that you've put into it! I bet that I've looked at your build thread at least 100 times.

the_underdog

I love this kind of stuff, it makes me happy. This is going in my Mitsubishi shrine down in the old basement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Chi271

Welcome!!! Nice summit white. And you mean to say...THE MIRAGE TURBO is gone!!?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

turbowop

Awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif I love your videos! Ever since you introduced them on NABR. Perfect amount of comedy and tech. Nice base of a car to start with. I love the Aloha package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

GSX_TC

Glad you picked up a VR4 Tom, I didn't think you were serious about it. You certainly got a clean specimen to start off with though. Maybe next year you could bring it to the shootout, and I could borrow some more duct tape from ya haha j/p anyways it was nice meeting you this year up there, I'll keep checking your progress on this car.

Cheers
Mike

the_underdog

Quoting Chi271:
Welcome!!! Nice summit white. And you mean to say...THE MIRAGE TURBO is gone!!?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Thank you! Yes, the old Mirage Turbo was sold awhile ago to a good owner who has taken great care of it. I just didn't enjoy the car as much when I moved from Florida to Tennessee. The Mirage loved the endless straight stretches of highway in Florida, but here on the curvy mountain roads here in Tennessee, it tried to kill you at every turn! I'm sure at 135hp it was a well balanced car, but at well over 450hp to the wheels, it was a deathtrap on anything but the straightest roads.

the_underdog

Quoting turbowop:
Awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif I love your videos! Ever since you introduced them on NABR. Perfect amount of comedy and tech. Nice base of a car to start with. I love the Aloha package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Thank you Mark, I really appreciate all the kind words! I love your car and your participation and great performance in the import competition was very inspiring!

the_underdog

Quoting GSX_TC:
Glad you picked up a VR4 Tom, I didn't think you were serious about it. You certainly got a clean specimen to start off with though. Maybe next year you could bring it to the shootout, and I could borrow some more duct tape from ya haha j/p anyways it was nice meeting you this year up there, I'll keep checking your progress on this car.

Cheers
Mike

Hey Mike!

Good to hear from you and I believe you're the only person that I mentioned it to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'd love to drive this car to the shootout next year and very well may do that. It was great meeting you there and I loved seeing your car and the other Galants in the pits and tearing it up on the autocross and dragstrip.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts