The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car woes

vr4play

So the car has developed a tick and it sounded like a lifter so I didn't pay it much attention until it started driving the knock sensor crazy. I pulled it apart and replaced the 3g lifters with a new set and the noise didn't even change. I pulled the oil pan to look at the bearings and decided to replace the rod bearings and still no change in the noise. I had a buddy say it sounded like something wrong with a valve so off comes the head. I figure if I'm pulling it off I'm going to put my good 2G head on. Sent it off to be cleaned and have all the holes drilled out and a fresh valve job. Put the car back together and still has the same noise. Sounds just like a lifter when you rev the motor. It's relatively quiet at idle. So now I guess I'm going to take it completely back apart and check the wrist pins in the pistons. I have a hard time believing that is the issue as I bought the JE HD pins. The rods only have about 50-70 miles on them and I didn't feel any play when I had it apart to do the bearings but the machinist decided to reuse the pins after I bent a rod last year. He said he magna-fluxed everything and I trusted his judgement. Course he also talked me into re-using the rod bearings which is why I pulled the pan back off to do it this time. I've heard of a bad pin sounding like a lifter so I guess thats what is next. If anyone one else has any ideas I would love to hear them.

slugsgomoo

do you have a mechanics stethoscope or a long screw driver? If it's running try to find the spot closest to the tick.

Have you changed the timing belt recently and re-used the tensioner? I've heard old tensioners make some pretty bad noises in the past.

vr4play

Tensioner has only 5k miles on it. This all started about 2 Auto-x events and 4 passes at the drag strip after I put the new rods in. I didn't assemble the pistons on the rods the machine shop did and he was supposed to ck everything. I was going to buy new pins but he said the ones I had were fine.

vr4play

After dis-assembly I have found 3 out of the 4 small rod end bushings are egg shaped. I am not sure what caused as these rods have less than 100 miles on them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned