The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bolt on housing options??

5OF2k

Morning all!

I've been toying eith the idea of getting rid of my tubular manifold in favor of an FP or similar manifold, but am left wonderring what my options are for a bolt on turbine housing for my Garrett/Full-Race T67( click ). I saw the FP30 and 35 housings, but cant find specs on the exact measurements or if those turbine housings are compatible??

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Basically, Im looking to simplify my setup a little bit. Ive notices significantly increased underhood temps due to the tubular manifold and its size, plus, this manifold isnt in the best shape and needs to be machined on both the head and turbine flange to be flat again. While I COULD get that done no problem, this setup is also quite laggy, and on a stock motor its a bit excessive(full boost around 5k with a .63 T3 housing....not ideal). I figure finding a smaller AR bolt on housing will aid in the spool dept and simplify the setup nicely.

So, in a nutshell, what are my options here?

Thanks in advance!

-Jake

transparentdsm

is money an issue for you?
if not i would get myself a hx35 or a wh1c from holset and get the bep housing(direct bolt on). its a smaller a/r but it builds boost faster. also it will allow for more of a stock look/setup.

edit: thats what im working on putting together now. money is more of an issue for me right now(buying a piece of land and starting to build in the next 3 months), so its going to be a slow process to get mmine together and working.

Last edited:

5OF2k

money isnt really an issue since Im not DDing the car anymore, but Im not looking to downgrade turbos. I got the T67 for it's potential, and will eventually be building an engine to push it. But being as for the mean time im on a stock engine Id like to adapt the turbo to this engine, if that makes sense?

Dont get me wrong, I can leave it as-is and get some decent power from it, but I'd just like it to be a tad more responsive(which a bolt on DSM housing should accomplish).

I just need to know if anyone knows which housing I'd need, since I havent been able to find anything on it yet.

transparentdsm

i understand, totally makes sense. maybe that bep housing will work with your turbo, i know its for a holset, but the holset turbo is a T3 hotside.

edit:
what i meant by this," i would get myself a hx35 or a wh1c from holset and get the bep housing(direct bolt on). its a smaller a/r but it builds boost faster. also it will allow for more of a stock look/setup."

i never meant for it to sound like sell your T67 and use this, i just meant use that till you can make the motor what it needs to be to make that 700 whp turbo breath fully and be happy.

Last edited:

5OF2k

I hear you, and I wasnt offended or anything like that, I just dont want to spend the money on another turbo. If I were going to go that route, it'd be a BB somethingorother. I know the cost difference is huge between the two but at this time, I just want to DRIVE the car lol. I also want to see what the stock bottom end can take, and for how long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

If the engine is as healthy as it appears, and I can get the proper setup together, I should be able to crack 500whp uncorrected on corn here at 5500+ft elevation.

Which, should also help me break a BUNCH of sh*t, at which point I'll be building! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Jake

DynastyLCD

hey Jake, how about asking FP to machine a bolt-on housing for you? i know it's a little costly but the result will be nice. you'd just have to remove your turbine housing, and measure inducer/exducer, then send the measurements to them. just a thought?

5OF2k

Abe: I dont, off of the top of my head, but I do know it's a ptrim wheel

Phil: I emailed FP abotut hat actually, and am waiting to hear back from them. BUT, one thing I noticed it the AR for the fp30 and 35 housings is around .68, which is bigger than my already puny .63 lol.

It MAY be mute point.... we'll see what FP says!

-Jake

Racah15

You might be able to get a PTE turbine housing. Not sure what size a t67 is but if it's a 62mm exducer, you can use the PTE 6262 dsm turbine housing. Comes in a .63 A/R housing.

5OF2k

hmmmm, might have to look into that....

That's the same AR as mine too. The main thing Im trying to accomplish is quickening the spool time... I may be asking too much though for the stock bottom end.

DynastyLCD

Quoting 5OF2k:
Abe: I dont, off of the top of my head, but I do know it's a ptrim wheel

Phil: I emailed FP abotut hat actually, and am waiting to hear back from them. BUT, one thing I noticed it the AR for the fp30 and 35 housings is around .68, which is bigger than my already puny .63 lol.

It MAY be mute point.... we'll see what FP says!

-Jake

well, throw all the A/R stuff out the window. for now at least. all you're truly concerned with is the size of the inducer, and exducer of the turbine. at one point, FP had the FP88HTA which was a 37r setup in a bolt-on hotside. if they can do that, why couldn't they do yours the same way?

i always wanted one of those 88HTA's, especially after having a PTE 6776 RSP (dual BB 37r). i feel your pain, Jake, as that thing didn't see full boost until about 5500. granted it was 32 psi, but it was painful to wait so goddamn long. i switched back to my 3052 setup, and my car felt like it was much quicker with the extra powerband.

5OF2k

Quoting DynastyLCD:
well, throw all the A/R stuff out the window. for now at least. all you're truly concerned with is the size of the inducer, and exducer of the turbine. at one point, FP had the FP88HTA which was a 37r setup in a bolt-on hotside. if they can do that, why couldn't they do yours the same way?

i always wanted one of those 88HTA's, especially after having a PTE 6776 RSP (dual BB 37r). i feel your pain, Jake, as that thing didn't see full boost until about 5500. granted it was 32 psi, but it was painful to wait so goddamn long. i switched back to my 3052 setup, and my car felt like it was much quicker with the extra powerband.

I hear you sir, I'm mainly just trying to get full spool a bit quicker. The thing starts making boost around 3500, but it's very little until it gets over 10psi, then it takes off and will hit the 14psi around 5k-5500. Im thinking I may have an exhaust leak a little bit at the head flange around cyl4(and that stud is also loose-ish, so I found last night messing around with it a bit. Time to helicoil it!), and possible at the turbine flange as well. I plan to take it off and resurface it this weekend, see what that does for spool time. Im also planning to wrap the manifold, get a turbo blanket (if I keep the T3 housing) and re-wrap the DP which should also help spool time a bit.

There is a bunch I need to take the time to look into, actually. DD'ing the car for over a year took its toll on things, and now there is a ton of maintenance that needs to be addressed and put in order before it hits the dyno. Im mainly toying with setup ideas at this point.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned