The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My vr4 sounds like a damn subaru! Help!

desant78

Hello Gvr4.org

Today on my way to work, on an on-ramp I was at WOT in 2nd gear, at about 3-4k the car instantly started misfiring, and has not stopped since. It seems very subtle, and even idles at the right RPM with no idle hunt. Of course, the car is under-powered, but I'm scratching my head at this problem. I'm aat work, and still need to get home, so I'm wondering if after work there are any suggestions?

All of my coolant temp plugs are attached, along with my CAS and TPS are still plugged and torqued down. My COP isn't touching anything, and my coolant temp gauge stayed in the middle during this mess. Once I had the coil pack short out to the frame, but that misfire was far more violent and robbed more power. Honestly, my car drives/idles like a damn subaru.

Every cold morning when I start my car I feel like it misfires for a few seconds, then the idle rpm smoothes out. I always thought because it was so cold, that combustion was just not occuring, causing the slightly rough idle but after a few seconds and heat, all four fire correctly. It really sounds like the car when I start it up for the first few seconds.

I'm fearing my headgasket blew at that moment (new HG with 10k miles on it) or my motor finally gave up on life.

suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated!

prove_it

could be plugs

desant78

^I was thinking that too. I adjusted my fuel pressure about two weeks ago, and maybe messed up my plugs. I'm trying plugs after work, but anyone else got any ideas? thanks!

5OF2k

Could definitely be the plugs, but it could be a coil sh*t on you too. If it's shorting in the spakplug tube it'll rob just that cylinder. Check the coil tubes for carbon tracing, also check the plug ceramic and so on when you pull it out. What is your boost set to, what fuel are you running, what plugs and at what gap?

Do you have an after market boost gauge for it, and if so is it reading normally at idle/decel? If its reading significantly lower, its more than likely soemthing engine mechanical, like a bent or burnt valve.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

desant78

^winner winner! Just saw this post, but you win. Got new plugs, no change. Unplug 2 3 and 4 idle change. Unplug 1 no chnage. Switch 1 and 4the on my coil, now four doesnt change idle. So im on a hunt for a coil

Last edited:

desant78

Problem solved! Last night got a set of working coils from a friends JSB gvr4, and all is well again. While I was driving the coil gave out, so lesson learned!

thanks for all the help guys!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned