The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tranny removal help

Tommyd

Hey guys, I've looked around and couldn't find an answer so. The engine and Tranny are out of 610 and I can not get the the transmission to come off the engine. All the bolts holding it in are out and the transmission is about 3/4 of an inch off the block but something is still holding it back. Is there something with the clutch fork I'm not doing? I don't want to man handle it off and break something.

DynastyLCD

there's 3 bolt on the front of it, and one bolt on the back of it going from the engine into the transmission, you could be missing that.

also, the transfer case must be removed as well.

DynastyLCD

does it still have the front dust shield bolted to it by chance? if not, shake and wiggle it until it comes free

Tommyd

Well apparently all I had to do is man handle it more. Sorry for wasting your time, just wanted to make sure I didn't break anything

DynastyLCD

i've seen it before where people go to take apart an all stock one and forget the transmission dust shield near the front roll stop, or the one underneath by the transfer case. i've even done that myself before lol

Lancer99

Sometimes I've had to wrestle the trans off the engine so it could be a pain in the butt. The shaft also has to come all they way out to fully be apart.

H05TYL

Not on the vr4, but I once pulled a gearbox out of a rotary converted Mitsi L200 pick-up that had twisted the input shaft enough that I had to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel (through the inspection hole) to get the box off!

Tommyd

Well on the Subies you have to actually remove the clutch fork in order to remove the tranny by threading a bolt into the "pivot" pin that goes through it. That is a pull type instead of push, and my first time dropping that transmission it took 2 hours of trying to wrestle it off before I broke my throw out bearing. I wanted to be a little cautious and not break anything on this car as it was my first time pulling everything apart. Now I've learned.

Boostin_AWD

The evo is a tricky one as well. Its a pull style with a wave ring you have to unlock through the inspection cover. Most dsm trannys I've delt with are usually pretty good. Some just require a little coaxing. Glad to head all went well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned