The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 1 LSD front diff in my 1G/GVR4 transmission [SOLVED]

alansupra94

I was wondering if it is possible or worth it to run a evo 1 front LSD in my transmission. I THINK they are viscous LSD (not sure if good or not).

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:

alansupra94

After talking to the guy, the diff is actually a clutch based LSD diff from an evo 1.

EHmotorsports

If you don't want it I will take it:) haha or let me know if he has more;)

RedTwo

Yes, the optional front LSD is viscous and requires the matching input shaft.
Clutch type LSD could only be the 1 way rear LSD inherited from the VR4 RS (I must be getting old as I can't remember if they have a viscous rear option) unless it's an aftermarket part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

alansupra94

He 100% says it is a clutch based front diff. I guess pictures will tell. Either way, this will be an epic upgrade for me.

Front evo 1 LSD + 4 spider center + brand new rebuild (stage 2 from TRE) + triple plate carbonetic + 4 bolt VLSD rear = awesome handling and shifting at 9000rpm

alansupra94

So here is the update:

Here are some pictures:
IMG_20130502_123420_zps95ffde13.jpg

IMG_20130502_123548_zpsffc48b19.jpg

IMG_20130502_123431_zps0756a93c.jpg

I know he didn't give me the input shaft. I am going to send him a message tomorrow to ask him about that.

ApexHunter

Helical is not the same. Helical is gear driven, viscous is fluid driven.

That one looks like a helical type.

alansupra94

Did any Evo 1 come with a helical? I am pretty sure they either came with Clutch or Viscous....or is that just a regular open diff?

Viscous clutch diff are non serviceable meaning you would have to open it to reveal the many clutch packs and silicone fluid.
The LSD usually have clutch packs unless its the rare torsion type LSD. This diff looks like itiis LSD with the center springs and spider gears. It's a common form of LSD but I usually see them in the rear... I hope this helps.

alansupra94

The tribe has spoken.

From the knowledgeable guys on 4gtuners:

Quote:
Yeah, thats definitely a viscous front LSD guys lol
Here's something I put together some time ago with pics on different angles to show you.
The viscous plates are inside a sealed unit inside the LSD.
But the holes in the sides are to lubricate the diff pinions with normal gearbox oil as expected.[/img]

Quote:
Oh and to the OP, yes you will need the driver's side viscous LSD cup as its a longer shaft.
Here's a pic comparing the driver's side viscous LSD cv cup to a normal open diff/mech LSD cv cup.
The part number of the viscous LSD CV cup is MR166160 and its retail price is around $400!!!

Here is the topic if you would like to see it:
click

RedTwo

You can probably find the input shaft at the bottom of a bag of hens teeth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

alansupra94

Nah, the owner of it is sending that up as well as the axle so I should be all set.

alansupra94

The only thing now is someone on the 4gtuner forum apparently tried this and had some issues. I am not sure if he is the only one but so far it is only him.

VLSDs_zps5ca4a2ec.jpg

VLSDs_zps4d0310e5.jpg

He says:

"The VR4 front crown wheel machined to suit the viscous lsd & rhs inner cv.
The crown end bearing shaft is prone to shearing off. They are a lemon.
After breaking 2 myself to prove the 1st wasn't just unlucky, they can get fooked.
Rally cars don't like them. More unpredictable than a mech lsd to drive.
You're better off getting your money back & getting a front mech lsd or Quaife atb lsd.
Cheers"

If that is the case, why do Evo Gear Boxes not have any problems with them?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts