The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

881/1000 - My New GVR4

DynastyLCD

so a few weekends ago i bought sayer's shell. 881/1000, 102k, came with a bunch of goodies.

my daily driver, until the GVR4 came along, was a nicely put together 1gb Talon.

the shell was put up for sale mid week. i had already planned on parting out my Talon, to either put everything in my other shell, or a down payment on a truck, just something else. having two 1g's wasn't practical. plus, you get yourself in trouble quick when you keep taking go-fast parts off of the other one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

i managed to sell some parts, and with some money i had saved up from before then, i decided that we were going to check out 881/1000. loaded up the truck and trailer with a few friends and hauled on down there. the thread with pictures is here: trip down to NY

we got the car sunday, fought with NY traffic, had a redneck reality check as we jokingly refer to it. city just isn't a place for me that's for damn sure! sunday night, unloaded the car, pushed it against the wall, had dinner and went to bed. monday morning i got up, worked til about noon, got out early and got some supplies for the car. started working on the cars around 12:45, started with this:

IMG01002-20130311-1227_zps2fb5b4d5.jpg

my white 1gb was a running/driving car, the GVR4 was a shell with a driveshaft and FMIC. so i got to work, pulled the engine, transmission, t-case out of the 1g. with the engine out, i swapped over the 344 mount, and prepped the GVR4. bolted in all the mount brackets to the car, and lowered the engine in. then came the transmission, and t-case. i also swapped over the suspension from my 1gb, as the GVR4 came with some ebay coils and blown struts. swapped the front strut tops, and the rear assemblies entirely. in went the axles, cut out the ABS sensors for future elimination, and we were on our way to a good car. by about 4 that afternoon, i had the main parts of it intact. later that night, my friend who had trailered the car up for me, came by. he was amazed that i had it all into the GVR4 already. when he came up, i plugged in the wiring harness. i also snapped a picture (very crappy one but you get the idea) of where i was at by this point:

IMG01003-20130311-1939_zps60dbbbc9.jpg

i lost tuesday due to rain. wednesday i ended up running around all day, and selling parts from my donor 1gb. so that's two days of no working on the car. thursday, i got underneath the car, added in the slave cylinder, clutch line, N/S bars, and i fixed one of the intercooler mounts. yes, i know, its crooked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif i need to make new brackets for the underside of it. one of the brackets wasn't even installed as the bolt was broken. so i drilled and tapped a new hole to at least get it a little better. the wiring mess inside the car was atrocious. i still need to fix a few things... its to the point where i'm tempted to find a parts car for interior and engine bay harnesses. i installed the boost and wideband gauges from my 1g, and also the AFPR. ended up having to do more running around on thursday so my day was cut a little short.

so friday comes along, didn't have to goto work, had a fair day so i got to work. worked up a tune in the morning for what i thought would be a good baseline, went to the gas station and got 5 gallons of fresh 93. today was the day indeed. so i filled it up, cranked for awhile to fill all the fuel lines, then it fired right up. sounds beautiful with no exhaust just an o2 housing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif with no coolant or gear oil in it, i only wanted to run it enough to get into the garage. adjusted the clutch enough to get me in, and i finished up the fine details out of the wind. added coolant, and gear oil. got the tune a little better and the car starts right up and idles wonderful! so here's where we were at on friday:

IMG01005-20130316-0006_zps4bef08da.jpg

just got into the garage, ready for fluids! put some fresh gear oil in it, filled it with coolant, then pulled it outside to burp with the funnel on it. it was a little bit of a pain since i have a 1g radiator, but if i back it into my garage and leave the front tires on the pavement, keeps the radiator just low enough to be level with the t-stat housing. i had the netbook plugged in, monitoring the log. my girlfriend gets back from work, and i said "hop in" and she gets her first ride in the new GVR4. we logged quick, then i got home, saved the file, and we went out for dinner. later that night, i was reviewing the logs before i went to bed. i was falling asleep at the computer, so i shut it and went to bed. next morning, i got up and i started to review the logs again. it was funny because when i opened the log, i was here:

IMG01008-20130316-1025_zpsad920287.jpg

what's a GVR4 build thread without a 1051 instance anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

so today, i took a few pictures of the new hoopty. it needs a 4-bolt LSD rear, 5-lug hubs, ABS delete, and some Evo 8 wheels... but i'm happy for now. i've got some 2g rear strut tops, i'll be trying those out to see if they won't raise the back up a little bit.

IMG01011-20130317-1445_zps4cceb97e.jpg

IMG01014-20130317-1446_zps4174f1fd.jpg

IMG01015-20130317-1446_zpsf44444c2.jpg

IMG01013-20130317-1446_zps95e129b1.jpg

IMG01017-20130317-1447_zps3b056beb.jpg

IMG01012-20130317-1445_zps67771ec4.jpg

the current modlist:

92 GVR4 - 881/1000

ENGINE
6-bolt 4G63
Arias 8.8:1 Forged Pistons, 22mm Pin, .040" Overbore
1g Rods, setup for 22mm free-floating pistons
ARP's & Cometic 1.3mm MLS
HKS 272's
Evo Lifters
Phenolic Intake Gasket
ACL Tri-Metal Race Bearings, Rod & Main
Balance Shaft Elimination
Poly Motor Mounts

DRIVETRAIN
91 DSM Transmission
Welded Center Differential
3-Bolt LSD Rear
ACT Flywheel
ACT 6-Puck Unsprung
Clutch Masters Pressure Plate

AIR/FUEL/EXHAUST
Stock Appearing TD05 20g
34mm Internal Flapper Evo 3 Hotside
GT Concepts Cast Manifold
2g O2 Housing
3" Turbo Back Exhaust with High Flow Cat
Extreme Motorsports FMIC Kit with GVR4 Specific J-pipe
Crushed 1g BOV
Evo 8 560cc Injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Bulkheaded Sending Unit
Aeromotive AFPR Setup
Digital Alcohol Meth Injection Kit (not plumbed in yet)

SUSPENSION
Megan 1g AWD Springs
Stock Front Struts
Rear KYB AGX Struts

ELECTRONICS
ECMlink V3
AEM Wideband
Autometer Boost Gauge

FUTURE MODS
5-Lug
1g FWD Spindles
4-Bolt LSD
3g Brake Master Cylinder
ABS Delete
Evo 8 Wheels
GT30r Setup
1000cc + Injectors

my plan was accomplished - she's registered and insured! adds one more to the list of registered GVR4's!

thanks for reading!

Last edited:

4orced4door

Quick work man, way to go! That thing is slammed.

transparentdsm

car looks awesome, i cant wait till the turbo is done and i can come out and give you the exhaust for this bad boy.

side note, have you ever tried selling cars on CL because i totally remember your wall and that blue tsi in pictures... next to other tsi's and such for sale. could be a totally different house and different cars but it looks familiar.

DynastyLCD

thanks for the compliments guys!

Shane, i advertised my 1g shell on CL once but that was it. it's up there right now actually. i've taken pics of my builds and the blue car has been sitting against the wall for some of them. it likes to sit outside borked a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

transparentdsm

i found that to be very humorous myself, waiting on you to say something. i hope one day i run into a 1051 situation because i feel like its good luck. i had my car running but she turns off after warm up and still overheats, crazy vacuum leak as well(-7 hgin at idle) timing looks dead on too. oh and sunroof area still leaking. cant even have an interior.

edit: oh and if i can get it running right in time i plan to drive 138 out to your house with the exhaust on the roof rack. i feel like it would be fitting.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Awesome, congrats! What is the X in the headlight?

turbofonz

good sh*t Phil

DynastyLCD

Quoting matt92vr4:
Awesome, congrats! What is the X in the headlight?

LOL i don't know... ask the PO!

Shane......... DO IT!!!!!!!

thanks for the compliments guys! still some unhacking in process... and cleaning up of sorts.

ducttapeguy

Holy freaking quick batman! Most impressive Phil. Figure out how much it would cost to ship you and your tool box down here so you can help me get mine back on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

Good job Phil! You work fast.

DynastyLCD

thanks Mike! all those years of being a tech paid off for something! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSX_TC

Lol right

DynastyLCD

well... the other day i went to emissions. failed at idle but passed during 2500 RPM (in CT, we use a TSI test, two speed idle, for AWD OBD 1 cars) i thought that was funny, as i did better with my blue 1g with way more mods and 1200cc injectors. the car was running rough and had a lack of power. then it got worse... started smoking, the turbo wouldnt make boost, and it had no power what so ever. i heard a clattering that would come and go. i think i cracked a piston : /

so she's back to JSB momentarily. i've got everything out of it already, and i'm planning a new build for it, and will be adding these parts:

.040 over 6-bolt
Arias 8.8:1 22mm Pistons
1g rods machined for 22mm floating pin pistons
ARP Main's
FP beehive valve springs
16g (Evo 3 or Big 16g)

i got the block, rods, and pistons for next to nothing from a local friend. all it needs is freeze plugs, gaskets, and bearings to run. i will also be switching to a 16g so no more boring 14b. maybe even bolt up a 3052 for a little while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif i'm obviously not too happy of getting only a few days of driving out of it so far, but i know when it comes back, it'll be my old GVR4 again, just slightly pack-a-punched /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

Sorry to hear that, but knowing you it'll be back in no time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DynastyLCD

its all part of the game, you know?

did you get your engine squared away?

GSX_TC

Yep. About a quarter of the way done. Still need to pull the crank and have it turned then get all new bearings.

DynastyLCD

ugh. shitty man. if i were to make a suggestion, saying as you've got a very very nice setup. i would spring for a virgin, un-cut 2.0 crank. i find that 90% of cut 4G63/64 cranks have failures again. i had one in another motor, didn't last 200 miles... never again will i use a cut crank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

today, put together a new head, got started assembling the bottom end. the head will be HKS 272's, 3mm lifters, FP beehive valve springs, stock valves on a fresh resurface. i cleaned up the block a little bit more, set the ring gaps, knocked the pistons in, and attached a few mounts. about all i can do for now since i don't have the parts yet. tomorrow the rest of the stuff i need should be in, bearings, gaskets, freeze plugs.

so god willing, i'll be driving this stupid thing around tomorrow night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

matt92vr4

Cool! I totally agree with using a virgin crank. I'll never use a turned crank either. Seen them cause problem WAY too many times.

GSX_TC

Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and pull the crank out of the other motor and just have it polished and measured. I don't want any "iffy ness" With this built motor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned