The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any way to fix this?

Racah15

Okay, so maybe a few months back I got ripped off by a member and unfortunately, I have to live with this P.O.S. I got. Is there any way to fix this issue? I do like the fact that I can fit intercooler pipe better;however, the core is probably useless. Any thoughts?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

0607121852.jpg

Racah15

Same here. That's why I didn't use it in my 2g. But it fits in the galant, but I don't like the way its bent, and probably won't work. That's why I wanted to see if it can be fixed. I don't mind re-bending it. If it breaks, oh well, not like I'm going to lose any more money on it. Haha

This is the past for me, Unless the seller wishes to post here, I'll leave him anonymous for now. It sucks that I trusted him because he has good rep here and other forums, but not from me after this. Paid $575 if you can believe that. Haha.
Oh well, it's all history. Don't care anymore.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I doubt there's any way to fix it, and even if there was, you'd be at risk of causing a leak anyways. I hope you made a bad guy post for whoever sold you that...

ktmrider

Flat piece of wood pushing down will help flatten the lower plate, may bring some of the other layers along. Curtis posted about doing it years back.

If it doesn't leak post bending I'd use it, no sense in scrapping after paying that kind of $$$.

onesickcrx

That looks like the one out of my crashed car? I know you didn't buy it from me but if it is it didn't leak... But its def twisted up nicely

curtis

I can fix about 99% of anything hell give me some household chems and I'll build some sh*t that will vaporize that damn thing but man besides a block of wood and hammering down on the bottom I have no clue of how to straighten the core and if you did It could cause the ends thats been furnace braised to break loose. Only thing I could think of is cut 4 2x6's the same length and bolt together the tops and the bottoms so it sandwiches both ends across the core but presses against the end tank. Then connect one end to a wall, pole in your shop, big tree then attach the other end to a small winch or a ratchet strap using the boards like a handle on a water skiing rope and start pulling. But like I said could cause a major leakage. Damn thats some screwed up sh*t someone sold that off to you.

GSX_TC

The hell did pay 575 bucks for that piece of junk? Fluidyne's aren't even that much.

Blackwidow

There is a custom radiator shop down here in Pueblo Colorado that might be able to fix that. Call Pueblo Radiator
1-719-543-9329

He fixed my racing radiator core for my CSM.

onesickcrx

Quoting GSX_TC:
The hell did pay 575 bucks for that piece of junk? Fluidyne's aren't even that much.

If it was off my car it should have come with the -20an earls fittings and hoses plus coolant neck setup for -20an

Just the fittings and hose cost more then 575... I hope you got it all at least?

Racah15

Quoting curtis:
I can fix about 99% of anything hell give me some household chems and I'll build some sh*t that will vaporize that damn thing but man besides a block of wood and hammering down on the bottom I have no clue of how to straighten the core and if you did It could cause the ends thats been furnace braised to break loose. Only thing I could think of is cut 4 2x6's the same length and bolt together the tops and the bottoms so it sandwiches both ends across the core but presses against the end tank. Then connect one end to a wall, pole in your shop, big tree then attach the other end to a small winch or a ratchet strap using the boards like a handle on a water skiing rope and start pulling. But like I said could cause a major leakage. Damn thats some screwed up sh*t someone sold that off to you.

Awesome info, thanks. I'll try it out first before I take it to the shop Blackwidow mentioned. Like I said, I have no money to lose, so it's worth a shot. Haha

Quoting onesickcrx:
That looks like the one out of my crashed car? I know you didn't buy it from me but if it is it didn't leak... But its def twisted up nicely

Did you sell it to a guy across the border? It did come with -20 an fittings and a powdercoated black thermostat housing. I ditched the waterpipe because I was going 7bolt head. I know I didn't buy it from you, but the person I may have bought it from, may have bought it from you. If he did, then I am slightly frustrated once more because I was under the impression he was the first owner.

Quoting GSX_TC:

Again, the pics didn't look like it was trashed, and he said it was in mint condition minus a small dent on the bottom. It's an Afco with -20AN fittings, and all the goodies. If you add it up, such as onesickcrx said, it does add up.

Quoting Blackwidow:
There is a custom radiator shop down here in Pueblo Colorado that might be able to fix that. Call Pueblo Radiator
1-719-543-9329

He fixed my racing radiator core for my CSM.

Awesome thanks! I'll check it out for sure. I'll test out Curtis' methods first, because right now money is tight and I don't see my self spending any more money on this pile of aluminum unless it's cheaper than buying a new GVR4 radiator. But I'll still call them to see how much it would cost.

onesickcrx

Does the coolant neck and fittings look familiar?

I mean I'd try to straighten it with the above method which should work, it won't be perfect but worth a try. Also you could just buy another one of those rads from summit and have someone weld on the fittings you already have on the old rad.

Racah15

YUP... Haha that's the car it came from, I think... I know you aren't the guy who sold it to me, but you sure do know the guy I bought it from then. Haha. Yeah I will go ahead and try that. If it leaks, it's okay. Good garage ornament I guess. I tried looking for another sirocco and doing just as you said, but they're in the mid to high 300's range, and I'd rather buy a bolt in Koyo for that money.
$3x0+welding might be around $400-440 range, not to mention the money already spent on it.

Last edited:

onesickcrx

Yea he came down and bought pretty much the whole front clip off my car, also thats my car in the picture. I'd recommend sticking with that style radiator as its going to be pain in ass to move the lines and make them work properly just my two cents.

EMX5636

If it doesn't leak, I wouldn't worry about it. It won't affect cooling. I had a tweaked Mishimoto like that that I got for free because it was damaged in shipping. Customer got a new one, I threw it in my car as is. It's obviously not "right", but the money's gone, so if you are ok with it, run it.

IncorpoRatedX

Did you get all or some of your money back???

if not, please name the member that did this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Racah15

Yeah...luckily.

What happened was the seller was trying to "teach me a lesson" by making me send back the radiator and keeping my money. Because he "went above and beyond" what he needed to, to sell me that p.o.s. I was foolish and sent him 2 payments instead of one (one was a deposit, one was remaining payment). LUCKILY.... The big payment ($400ish or so I forgot) was sent as a payment. The other half was sent as a gift. Regardless, paypal only grants you one case per item, FYI... just incase some of you people get screwed on a double payment deal. Only one payment will be refund per item, up to the value of the payment. So anyway, I sent the radiator, and the seller was being a baby, and kept telling me he's keeping my money, blah blah blah, but since he was too busy "keeping my money" he didn't answer the question of where to send it to. I saw the return label was different than the paypal address. So I shipped it to the Paypal address after not confirming me on where to send it. Lo and behold, it comes back undelivered. Then he's furious that the $4xx got taken from him and he didn't get his POS back. So I offered to send it back (even me losing on shipping.. AGAIN (3x total)) if he gave me back the rest of my money (take in mind, he lives across the border. Shipping ain't cheap!) And he said ship back the radiator or Paypal will have me pay, or some B.S. like that, but refused to give me the rest of my money, as a lesson...? So I didn't send back anything. So I guess technically I paid under $200 for it. It's probably only worth $20 in scrap.

LIV4PSI

PayPal is basically all automated. If he calls a representative and they check your return tracking number and if shows as undelivered, they will reverse the refund and you will be out $400.

Racah15

No, because I called and asked what are my options. Basically, before any of the money got transferred I called and luckily I got a person who knows cars (how awesome was that?). I told him the situation and he completely understood what was happening and that since infact I did deliver to the address that was used on his paypal account, I wasn't at fault that it didn't get delivered. His childish actions were to blame and he refunded my payment.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned