The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Today's intercooler install

James

Well actually its a Interfooler because I don't have any piping yet. But I wanted to get it mounted so I can measure out my future piping. Measured out to 24Lx12Hx3W. It far exceeds and is probably way to large for my setup but it can't be any worse than the stock 1g side mount.

142C7F57-5AE2-4519-B21F-9B62EAEE95AF-1187-0000012C10E6A730.jpg

13E3A874-3BDF-44EE-BCAD-E660B4E4787E-1187-00000116F28EDFA9.jpg

85FE176A-58D3-4667-8108-DCF053C1029B-1187-00000116EE9BF978.jpg

32EAEC66-5205-40C1-9A8B-28B2E35633D6-1187-00000116EA667571.jpg

A023C35A-DE77-4771-B9BC-D8545D946783-1187-00000116E124F5D8.jpg

A9D00ADE-59E8-45F5-99BF-7C83E317B19D-1187-0000012C0A7C7969.jpg

GSX_TC

What kinda core is that?

James

Had JDMSport stamped on the top and bottom I believe.

GSX_TC

You gonna keep the slats in the bumper?

IncorpoRatedX

wow, that looks like crap...

bottom of the bumper is bulging like crazy.

James

I know. We had finished bolting up the bumper just as the turkey was done. And it was dark before we got done eating. I have a spare bumper I'm going to test with to see how i can get the bottom to look normal.

IncorpoRatedX

cut the center of the top of the bumper out and move the fmic up maybe?

James

I know the crash rating on these cars isn't amazing to begin with... And I do tote my daughter aroun in the car. So I'm really not trying to weaken that core any more than I have to. It's a function>form thing right now. Hopefully when I get my JDM front/back I I can make it fit better or trade cores for something slightly smaller.

matt92vr4

These pics make me want to get out there and install my FMIC. It's my understanding that the crash bumper is more for protecting the engine bay in minor fender benders. I don't think it protects passengers in major crashes. I don't know though as I'm not an engineer. I'm more concerned about keeping it to hold the bumper cover on straight.

turbowop

Crumple zones protect the passengers. The 5mph crash bumper does jack sh*t. That's why the JDM version of the car has a different bumper. Mitsu only produced the heavy, park bench, 5mph crash bumper to satisfy USDM standards so that they could import the car. That, and even if it did do anything more than a JDM bumper, it would only help in a head-on collision, or if you rear-ended somebody.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting James:
I know the crash rating on these cars isn't amazing to begin with... And I do tote my daughter aroun in the car. So I'm really not trying to weaken that core any more than I have to. It's a function>form thing right now. Hopefully when I get my JDM front/back I I can make it fit better or trade cores for something slightly smaller.

GET A SMALLER IC

or, i run an evo8 fmic with crash bar fully intact.

And you're full of crap because it's currently form over function, the intercooler doesnt function...

Last edited by a moderator:

tyeler18

Although in high speed wrecks that crash bar doesn't do much, you'd be amazed on how much structural integrity it actually has for a front end hit. With it bolted into the "frame rails" as you hit it, it causes the force to expand towards the fenders, rather than towards the driver. I was a body guy for a while, and straightening a car that had the crash bar vs without was quite a bit different. That being said, the amount of metal left on that crash bar isn't going to do anything in the event of any crash. It's far to flimsy, basically any cut more than half way into the crash bar ruins it's structure, so you're not getting protected any better.

spooling92vr4

Quoting James:

With a JDM bumper its the same as having no crash bar at all. I was never a fan of those eBay cores, but I know a few people that have used them with great success. IMO you need to do some more trimming or get a smaller ic.

raptorWagon

Quoting James:

Josh is correct it's form over function with the intercooler currently, and your argument about weakening the crash bar goes straight out the window when you remove the USDM crap to install JDM bumpers with their built in exoskeleton and reinforcement bars.

Even on the wagon, my 5mph bumpers ain't gonna do sh*t if someone hits me, only thing they are good for is sitting on and Josh's that he removed were only for decoration purposes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Not much changed from the 70s to the early 90s in the Mitsubishi world.

James

It is function over form. The FMIC isn't on the car anymore. It was put on because my amount of free time is very little. I had the opportunity to get the cutting done so I did it. I needed it on (probably didn't NEED it) to measure what piping lengths and angles I need to order.

I picked up the FMIC for just about free. And I wouldn't mind trading it with someone for one that's not quite as tall.

And thanks for the info on the bumper I thought it served more use than that. Ill see what I can do about cutting a little more to move it up some.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

here's a write up if you're still wanting to keep a bumper core with a fmic

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned