The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drivetrain problem

xxxspeedxxx

Hey guys, i need help figuring out this problem. So while i was driving GVR-4 home from school i stopped at stop sign, and then i did a mild lunch, and then i heard something brake under the car, then i started accelerating and started hearing a wobble, slight scrape, its a smooth noise. when i give it gas the rpm increases rapidly but the car is slowly accelerating. and the noise gets worse as i accelerate. there is no noise while i am cursing, however when i give it gas it starts making a scrape noise, i can hear it coming from the rear passenger side.

from research I've done so far its not a transmission problem because i can shift into all gears with ease. could it be a Transfer Case maybe?????

my knowledge is limited when it comes to transfer cases , so hopefully you guys can help me identify this issue before i take it to a mechanic.

Thanks

Last edited:

5OF2k

Kind of sounds like an axle to me. Park the car, jack it up onto jack stands, and roll around underneath it. You'll be able to see of anything is abnormal by doing that.

GSTwithPSI

If I understand your post right, you are saying RPM is increasing, and the car's speed not increasing proportionality according to the selected gear. The most likely thing that can cause RPM to vary independent of transmission speed, is a clutch issue. A slipping clutch would allow the engine speed to increase/decrease without regard to transmission input speed. Basically I'm saying from what it sounds like from your written description, your clutch is damaged. Looks like it's time for a big price drop in that sale thread you have posted...

5OF2k

That wouldnt explain the noise he hears coming from the passenge rear of the vehicle though...

James

He could just be wrong about the location of the noise. Which is usually what happens.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting 5OF2k:
That wouldnt explain the noise he hears coming from the passenge rear of the vehicle though...

Noises can appear to come from somewhere they actually are not...However I've never seen an axle that allows RPM to increase rapidly, yet causes the car to slowly accelerate. Then again, I'm just going off what he said.

Last edited:

xxxspeedxxx

if its a clutch problem wouldn't the clutch be slipping. or hard to put it into gear. idk. a bad clutch is possible

lol i a not going to sell it until i fix it, so the price will not be dropped. lol for now.

GSTwithPSI

I would roll back under the car, remove this plate and see if you can find any abnormal debris or see anything screwed up.
WP_000368.jpg

Racah15

Quoting xxxspeedxxx:
if its a clutch problem wouldn't the clutch be slipping. or hard to put it into gear. idk. a bad clutch is possible

lol i a not going to sell it until i fix it, so the price will not be dropped. lol for now.

Quoting xxxspeedxxx:
...when i give it gas the rpm increases rapidly but the car is slowly accelerating

Not to be an ass, but didn't you say this already? Usually when this happens your clutch is slipping. Do you have a sprung clutch? If you do, you may have broken a spring. ACTs love to break hubs and strip splines as of lately, so you may have gotten one from a bad batch. Although according to your post, it seems unlikely to be this. You say you're in school, I'm taking you're not taking any English classes? Usually nothing happens to my car when I take it for a mild lunch, and if there is no noise when you are cursing, then you aren't cursing.

Just giving you crap kid :p

Last edited:

brisvr4

Crawl under the rear of the car and GRAB the axles and give them a GOOD shake.
If the axle broke inside the pumpkin you won't see it.

Both of my rear axle breakages gave the same type of symptom as you are describing.
That plus that fact that it happened immediately after a launch points that way.

AWDPower

It also sounds like an axle to me, mine did the same with a broken axle. Follow brisvr4's advice, I bet an axle broke at the splines.

IncorpoRatedX

sounds like the rear axle broke inside the diff, my stock 3 bolt did this years ago during a launch. Same symptoms as the thread started explained.

Sounds like it needs to be sold to someone that will take better care of it, rather than launching from stop sign to stop sign.

xxxspeedxxx

i want to thank you guys for all the help, it turned out to be a broken axle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

quick question guys, if i am going to swap a 4 bolt rear end, is a 4 Bolts Rear Differential with Axles and caps is all i need to make the swap??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts